Additional Pages

May 23, 2010

Basil Pappardelle with Snap Peas & Chard


I decided to make homemade pappardelle with a twist.
Since this is a light dish I wanted to infuse as much flavor into it as possible without over doing it.
I had seen many years ago in a magazine where when they rolled the pasta through the machine they pressed parsley leaves right into the dough and as the numbers on the machine got larger the parsley stretched wider making a very neat looking pasta.

I haven't seen it lately so I thought I would try it. Below is a step by step pictorial of the procedure.

Step 1: In a processor, make the pasta dough. I used spelt and AP flour for more nutrition punch.

Pasta
Makes 2 servings

2/3 cup AP Flour
1/3 cup Spelt Flour
1 Egg, scrambled with 2 tbls water (more if needed)
1 tsp olive oil

Blend in processor (or by hand) until dough is tacky but not sticky.
Cover in Saran Wrap and let rest for 1 hour.
Cut into 4 pieces.

Step 2: Put through a pasta roller.
If using a rolling pin, roll to a 1/16th" thickness (was "1" on my roller attachment).


Step 3: Press herbs into half the dough and fold over. Roll out to 1/2 the thickness again (or a 32nd" or "5" on a roller) and let it rest on a floured towel.


Step 4: Cut into 3/4" x 5" strips.

I added 2 cherry tomatoes to the sauce for color and flavor, but other than that I followed the recipe. A very light and tasty dish, perfect for a Sunday Summer Supper.
You could taste the basil in the pasta. Was a nice addition. Next time I will try a different herb, maybe even tomato powder or dried mushroom powder.

No comments :