June 14, 2010

Italian Vegetable Torte

Tonight's dinner is an Italian Vegetable Torte. Traditionally a torte is a cake baked in a springform pan, and like cheesecakes can be savory as well as sweet.
I like the idea because you roast the vegetables and mix with an egg, cream & cheese mixture and bake in a springform pan. Refrigerate for 3 hours and serve room temp with a salad and some good bread or rolls.
This can be done in the AM while it's still cool.



I thinly sliced about 8 large Shiitake mushrooms and 5 cloves of garlic.
I tossed them with olive oil & Italian seasonings and roasted for 10 minutes in a 400F oven.











I chopped in 1" pieces......1 cup zucchini, 1 cup crookneck squash, 1/2 a red pepper, 2 small shallots, 12 asparagus stems (saving the tops for the stuffed trout later in the week) and mixed the mushroom/garlic with them.


Spread the vegetables in a baking pan and up the temp to 425F and roasted for 40 minutes, stirring at 20 minute time.

It seems like a lot but half of this will go into the fridge for later in the week. If I don't use it I will puree them and make a dip.



Roasted for 40 minutes, I let them cool before I mix with the liquids.
Meanwhile, prep a 6" or 8" springform pan.


Coat with melted butter and sprinkle with 1-2 tbls of grated cheese.
In processor or blender, mix 4 eggs with 1/2 cup ricotta and mascarpone cheese, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan. Mix chiffonade of 6 basil leaves in by hand.
Add cooled vegetables and pour the egg/vegetable mixture into pan, placing onto a sheet pan to catch any leaks and bake at 375F for at least 30 minutes, checking at 25 (I ended up baking mine for a full 35 minutes because it was pretty thick in the 6" pan).


Mixture should be slightly wiggly but not jiggly. Remove and cool for 30 minutes then cover and place in chill chest for 3 hours.



Unmold by running a sharp knife along the inside of the pan and place on a steady object (I used a small lidded jar). Slowly release the spring and gently slide pan down. It should come out perfectly. If you feel any resistance close the spring and run the knife around again. If you buttered and cheesed the pan before, once it bakes and sets, eggs shrink. It should release.


Leftover sauce from the other night with some grilled chicken. Hubby is picking up some good bread, I am lightly heating the dishes in the oven, a cold bottle of Vouvray (the Pinot Grigio of France) and we are good to go.
I am so glad the rain held off until we finished dinner. I look forward to eating alfresco.

4 comments:

M. said...

oh, this vegetable torte sounds amazing!! I'll have to try that....love all the cheeses you used in this recipe...yum!

Susan.......................... said...

It is so easy and gets better with time. Room temp, no problem.
It's almost like a savory cheesecake. Best way to use up the odds & ends in the refrigerator.

emily said...

can you eat this while still warm or hot?

Susan.......................... said...

We ate it hot out of the oven and then for lunch the next day, slightly warmed. Room temp would be fine. It's a matter of taste, my husband likes things hot I eat them out of the fridge.