Wish Upon A Dish: Good 'Ole American Crab Cakes with Spicy Remoulade

July 6, 2010

Good 'Ole American Crab Cakes with Spicy Remoulade

I found this recipe in a Cooking Light Magazine. I usually start there when compiling my monthly menu planner because it's not only "American" dishes, the month I got the cakes from also gave me a Korean BBQ recipe and a Haitian Pork dish that looks excellent. Since they are pared down for healthier and lighter versions it makes it easier for me to just copy and cook. I like this magazine. There is no Bull About It.
I'm scaling down my magazine subscriptions to the ones I will actually use. I have 4 down from 8.

1. Cooking Light
2. Food and Wine
3. Bon Appetit
4. Food Network (on the edge with them because I only cook Ina's and Emerils)

It's funny I have been to a Bobby Flay Restaurant 4x and I don't think I have prepared any of his recipes. I have all of Emeril's cookbooks, Michael Chiarello, have started a collection of Mario's books and of course....Thomas Keller. I'm fussy about my cookbooks. It has to be a ethnic or regional cookbook. A book that will teach me something not just have pretty pictures and a recipe on each page, well thought out (so it's easy to put together a whole menu for, let's say a party). I like when it's divided into courses not ingredients, like "FISH" "MEAT" "EGGS"...etc. I get bored looking at 25 veal recipes one after the other. I tend to skip around if it's composed that way.
Indexes will help me find an ingredient. I want to ewww and ahhhh at each recipe because I just know they get better with each flip of the page.


Crab Cakes with Spicy Remoulade

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 crab cakes and 1 1/2 tablespoons rémoulade)
Ingredients

Crab cakes:
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 1 1/2 tablespoons canola-based mayonnaise (such as Spectrum brand)
* 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1 large egg
* 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
* 1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
* 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided

Rémoulade:
* 1/4 cup canola-based mayonnaise
* 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
* 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
* 2 teaspoons Creole mustard
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce
* 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Preparation

1. To prepare crab cakes, combine first 8 ingredients. Add panko and crab, tossing gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.

2. Fill a 1/3-cup dry measuring cup with crab mixture. Invert onto work surface; gently pat into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Repeat procedure with remaining crab mixture, forming 8 cakes.

3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 crab cakes to pan; cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Carefully turn cakes; cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden and crab cakes are thoroughly heated. Remove cakes from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan dry with paper towels. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 crab cakes.

4. To prepare rémoulade, combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Serve with crab cakes.

The remoulade is very good. It needs to sit in the fridge to meld the flavors, overnight is better, I just forgot.
Crab cakes tasted before sauteing to check for adjustments........A OK.
Actually they are really good.


One year we went to Baltimore, right before Camden Yards was officially open.
I wanted to find the best crab cake ever and I was in the right area to do just that.
One day in the Inner Harbor, 1 day in the outskirts at a local crab joint 2 days in Annapolis. If I couldn't find a decent crab cake then I think Baltimore is in trouble.

We found this bar, and I say bar Lightly. I had my Gourmet Magazine article section on places to eat in Baltimore and they listed John Stevens, Ltd.
After taking the ferry all the way to the last stop in the Inner Harbor we were literally standing with our hands on our hips swinging from side to side, trying to find this place. Just as the ferry made its way for a return trip back to the Aquarium, we saw this neon lite in a dingy window that said John Stevens, Ltd.

I couldn't believe it was this place recommended by Gourmet Magazine. They never failed us before, so we walked over and opened the door. I swear to God they were dancing on the bar. It was, honestly a biker bar, with a juke box blaring hard rock.
Right when we were turning to leave, a girl approached us and asked us if we wanted a table to eat. We quickly looked around to find nothing there. She pointed out towards the back and we followed her there, to this absolutely inviting, canvas topped patio with about 10 tables.

I'm telling you we had 3 types of crab cakes (each better than the next), 2 huge bowls of the best steamed mussels I ever and still have ever had in my life. 2 bottles of cold, excellent wine and then after dinner drinks and great cheesecake.

UNBELIEVABLE !!!! Moral is........don't just a book by it's cover. And that credo has done us well for many years later, having the best vacation excursions because we didn't judge.

I wonder if that restaurant is still there? I know Gourmet is not.
(PS: It is still open and getting rave reviews. If you are near the Inner Harbor, take the ferry to Fells Point and directly across from the landing area is this white 1 story building, and yes, that is it).

No comments :