Wish Upon A Dish: Oatmeal Pancakes with Creme Fraiche

September 14, 2010

Oatmeal Pancakes with Creme Fraiche

I wanted breakfast today.
I needed to eat something.
I didn't want eggs.
I don't eat toast.
I kept thinking about those pancakes and how they filled me up and I didn't snack all day.

That was it, but this time I had no buttermilk. I did have homemade creme fraiche which never really got thick but was OK taste wise.

I have decided that this pancake mix will work with any milk based product as long as it's 1 1/4 cups. I always keep a container of dried buttermilk and dried goats milk but boxed soy or almond milk would work well also.

I could not let it sit overnight like I did Sunday night, so I gave it an hour to soften the oats. I know it says 10 minutes but I think it has a better consistency saoked longer.

Today I made 6 (6") pancakes, I ate 3 and will refrigerate the other 3 for tomorrow.

Buttermilk-Oatmeal Pancakes
(makes 8 (5") pancakes)

* 1 1/4 cups skim buttermilk
* 2/3 cup quick cooking oats
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 tablespoon cooking oil
* 1/4 cup egg beaters
* 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
* 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine buttermilk, oats and vanilla in a bowl. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in oil and egg. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; stir well. Add oat mixture to flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Spoon about 1/3 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot non-stick griddle. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.

Exchanges:
1 1/2 starch
1/2 low fat milk

I tweeked it more to make it lower in calories and healthier still, and I believe these were better than the ones I made yesterday.

I am telling you now, with a sugar-free syrup or fruit the kids will think they are eating cookies. These pancakes are wonderful. Make enough to last the whole week.
Wrap them in saran and nuke for 1 minute. Light, tasty, filling and healthy.

No comments :