Wish Upon A Dish: Apples, apples, apples...everywhere are apples

October 10, 2010

Apples, apples, apples...everywhere are apples


Sound like a mouthful....they were....and a belly full too.

My local diner has pumpkin pancakes on the menu once October starts and I always have to get them at least once.

Not only do I love them, the pumpkin is an excellent equalizer for the AP flour (I know they do not use WW flour) so I can eat them quilt free.

I decided to try to make them oober healthy by using my basic Buttermilk-Oat Pancake recipe and jazzing it up with pureed pumpkin, dried apples and spices.

After three samples and 3 more tweaks, I finally ended up with a delicate, light, pumpkiny delicious pancake.

Pumpkin-Apple Buttermilk-Oat Pancakes
* 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
* 1/4 cup AP flour
* 1 cup 2% evaporated milk
* 3 tablespoons dried buttermilk
* 3/4 cups canned pumpkin
* 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
* 2 tbls Splenda brown sugar blend
* 2/3 cups instant oats
* 2 eggs
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 tbls butter blend, melted
* 1/2 tsp vanilla
* 1/4 cup minced dried apples

In bowl, soak oats in milk and dried buttermilk for 30 minutes. Add rest of wet ingredients. In another bowl, blend dry ingredients. Make a well and add wet ingredients and gently fold mixture (do not over beat).

Spray non-stick pan with butter flavored spray and with 1/3 cup measure, spoon mixture into pan, spreading out to even layer.

Cook until top no longer moves and flip (hint: if you under cook the first side, meaning do not wait for little bubbles, you will have a fluffier pancake. The oats tend to weigh down the mixture and if you overcook it, it gets dense). Cook another minute.

Make packages of 2 and wrap in wax paper. Store all packages in a large zip bag and grab a packet in the AM.

To reheat: Nuke in wax paper for 1 1/2 minutes.

I looked up the stats on squash, any squash. Even though the GI is high the GL is a 3.8 (phenomenal).



Today I have a load of recipes to make, some for testing for my cookbook, some for a challenge and an apple pie for eating.

First recipe: Deep Dish Sour Cream-Apple Pie
Second recipe: Normandy Chicken
Third recipe: Baked Apple Pear Sauce


Can you guess the theme here? I find it easier to prepare one ingredient for multiple dishes and then just cook away. I have to peel, core and slice all those apples we picked last Sunday. I will set up a big bowl of acidulated water and a cutting board, my apple corer/slicer gadget and a garbage bowl which I will put the peels and seeds in to feed the birds and groundhog later.

The crust takes 2 hours to chill, then roll, then 2 more hours to chill in the spring form pans. That about shoots the idea of baking it off today so I guess I will bake them tomorrow with the apple-pear sauce. Since I have to saute all the slices before baking and cooking with them, I can do that while the crust sets.


You have to cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.


Mix in the yolk and flour until it comes together. Then STOP. Do not over beat.


Form into a disc, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.


Slice 9 cups of apples and saute with sugar until they wilt slightly.


Sprinkle with flour and toss.


Combine vanilla, zest and sour cream and pour over apple slices.
Did I tell you I am making 2 (6") apple pies?
Yup, I am halving the recipe and baking them in my small Christmas-sized springform pans.
This way they can have a choice. A Chai Cheesecake or this.


Crust is refrigerated for 30 minutes.


Spoon filling into crust to the level of the top of the crust. Bake for 15 minutes at 400F. Remove and spread on streusel topping. Reduce oven temp to 375F and bake for 15 minutes.


Bake at 350F for 30 minutes more. Let cool in pans for 1 hour. Remove to container and refrigerate overnight before cutting and serving.




No comments :