Wish Upon A Dish: KFC

October 24, 2010

KFC

No, it's not that KFC.

I swore off that place 3 years ago when we threw the whole bucket out.

Korean Fried Chicken.

Ellie, who used to own the blog called "Almost Bourdain", posted this recipe a couple of weeks ago and it caught my eye. She originally calls for drumsticks and wings but I am making it with all wings. I also listed the amounts in American measurements, hers are in metric.

The Nudge loves wings and I am always looking for new ways to prepare them. When I ask him "do you want them spicy, sweet, crunchy or sticky?" His way of getting out of making a decision is to tell me "surprise me".

How I hate that.

This time I did not ask him and all of a sudden its "I didn't approve those".

Spousal abuse in my mind..........

Korean Fried Chicken (KFC Recipe)
Ingredients

Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
2 1/2 pounds chicken wings
Thinly sliced spring onion, to serve

Batter:
* 1 cup spelt flour (or oat, quinoa, buckwheat) sieved
* 2 tbsp cornflour
* 1 egg white, lightly beaten
* Water

Chili sauce:
* 2 tbsp each soy sauce and rice vinegar
* 1 tbsp honey or agave nectar
* 2 tsp sesame oil
* 2 tsp sugar or Splenda
* 1" piece ginger, finely grated
* 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
* 1/4 cup Thai Style Chili Sauce or Sambal Oelek (if you like it really hot)

Method

1. For chili sauce, combine ingredients in a large bowl, season to taste with freshly ground pepper and set aside.
2. For batter, whisk flours, egg white and 170 ml cold water in bowl. Season to taste and set aside.

The first fry....these suckers are huge. They have to be roaster wings at 5-6 per pound.

3. Preheat oil in a deep-sided saucepan to 180C. Dip chicken pieces in batter and deep-fry in batches, turning occasionally until light golden (5-6 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper until cooled slightly (10-15 minutes).

4. Deep-fry chicken again, in batches, until crisp and deep golden (6-8 minutes), drain on absorbent paper, then add to sauce, toss to coat and serve hot topped with spring onion.



I think that based on the size of these wings, I would allow 3-4 pieces per serving.
Serve with frites, macaroni salad or fried rice. This is a treat for me indeed. I will only eat the wings but I am having grapefruit for dessert.

They were good but really not worth the trouble of double frying them. One fry on a wing is enough. If I was making bigger pieces, say like a whole fried chicken, I would double fry. Make a huge batch of these for your next tailgating or football game day with friends and family. They will gobble them up!!

While I am frying the chicken I am also frying 1 large potato, thinly julienned.
The Nudge loves these thin fries or frites.

No comments :