Wish Upon A Dish: Two Basting Vinaigrettes for Grilled Shrimp

October 7, 2010

Two Basting Vinaigrettes for Grilled Shrimp


I am one of many recipe testers for America's Test Kitchen.

I adore that show and have been a Cook's Illustrated subscriber for half my life. Many recipes I make over and over again are from them. Some just don't hit the objective but most make it into my recipe file. Their quiche crust is to die for.

I am allowed to blog about them as long as I give them the credit.

Tonight I am grilling scallops. Doesn't sound all that test worthy, grilling scallops is pretty much salt, pepper, evoo and a hot clean grill, right? Not to them.

I will be brushing a coating on them to see if it results in a crispy crunchy scallop, the kind you would get if you used a cast iron fry pan, but on the grill.

They also gave us 4 different vinaigrette's to try with them of which I made 2.


Basil Vinaigrette
Makes about 1 cup

* 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
* 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, washed
* 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
* 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2
teaspoons)
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon table salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2/3 cup vegetable oil

1. Pulse vinegar, basil, chives, garlic, sugar, salt and black pepper in jar of
blender until roughly chopped. With blender running, slowly drizzle in oil until
emulsified, scraping down sides as necessary.

Chile-Lime Vinaigrette
Makes about 1 cup

* 3 tablespoons juice and 1 teaspoon zest from 1 lime
* 1 tablespoon Sriracha chile sauce
* 2 tablespoons honey or Agave Nectar
* 2 teaspoons fish sauce
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. Whisk lime juice, lemon zest, chili sauce, honey, and fish sauce until
combined. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in oil until emulsified.

Our favorite was the Chili-Lime.

No comments :