Wish Upon A Dish: This morning I woke up thinking about food....

October 21, 2010

This morning I woke up thinking about food....

I hate when I do that. I find myself thinking about something as I am falling asleep and then when I wake up I am still thinking about it.

Last night we took our friend out to dinner before he returns to Iowa.

They wanted to watch the baseball playoffs while catching up up gossip (yes, men are ultimately worse then women).

I was the designated driver.

Someone from the local newspaper was doing a feature on local pubs and their regulars. She wandered over and took our pic, which was nice because we wanted one of the 3 of us anyways. As I was admiring her camera, the conversation sort of went that way and I mentioned I would love that camera for my pics on my blog. My little, old, point and shoot just wasn't cutting it anymore.

She asked me about my blog, I told her and she took my email, saying maybe the editor will contact me about my blog and do a write up of it.

Wouldn't that be nice. I know there are a lot of people out there that do not know I even exist and there are as many diabetic food blogs as I have fingers on both hands.

What I was thinking about was a page devoted to "When in Doubt Eat These Dishes" for when you have not planned your meal for the day and do not want to get take-out.

So, today, I made a special page devoted to 10 of my top ingredients used to make recipes for Diabetic Friendly foods using pantry and basic refrigerated and frozen items (like eggs, cream, milk, chicken and fish).


Along with my tart, I am making whole wheat cloverleaf rolls and a salad using the last of my yellow tomatoes, bleu cheese crumbles and a new Litehouse dressing I want to try.

* 1 1/4 cup warm water
* 1 tbls rapid rise yeast
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 cup agave nectar
* 2 tbls dry milk
* 2 cups whole wheat flour
* 3/4 cup AP flour
* 1 tbls butter, melted

Mix all ingredients with a dough hook for 8 minutes. Let rise until doubled, punch down and make 18 1 1/2" balls. Place 3 in each Texas Muffin tin to make cloverleaf rolls. Any leftover dough I make sub rolls with.
Brush tops with an egg wash before baking and sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake at 375F for 25 minutes.



They were so good, even The Nudge was surprised they were whole wheat.

I like that you can pull them apart easily without having to cut them with a knife.

No comments :