Wish Upon A Dish: Cheese ball memories

December 25, 2010

Cheese ball memories

I was watching Mad Hungry on Friday and Lucinda was making 3 different cheese balls for a cocktail party themed show.

I almost completely forgot my Mom's cheese ball. For years when my sister did holidays, she always made a cheese ball. I googled cheese balls and could not find one that was made my mom's way.

I am not even sure if this is the exact recipe but the base of all cheese balls are pretty standard....(I honestly believe Philly started the craze in the first place).

I wanted to share this with you..........

2 bricks of cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sharp cheddar, grated
Prepared horseradish to taste
1/2 small onion, grated
A dash of hot sauce
A few glugs of Worchestershire Sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
3-4 thinly sliced good Virginia Ham, diced

Mix all the ingredients except the ham in a mixer, by hand, but not the processor.
Shape into a ball and roll into the diced ham, covering it totally.
Chill overnight or at least 4 hours. Can be frozen ahead without the ham and then defrosted and rolled.

Serve with crackers.

No comments :