Wish Upon A Dish: What to do with the Turkey Carcass

December 2, 2010

What to do with the Turkey Carcass

Every year my hostess for Thanksgiving gives me the carcass.

As long as I can remember, I always requested the bones to make a rich turkey stock.

Because it is so much larger than a chicken and it has a stronger flavor, 1 carcass goes a long way.

Turkey Stock

One huge stock pot with lid or Crockpot
One huge turkey carcass, skin and meat removed
One large onion, cut in half
One pound carrots, washed and cut into 3rds
One stick celery, chopped
3 Bay leaves
One palmful whole peppercorns
5-7 thyme sprigs or 1 tablespoon dried
4 sage leaves (optional)
Water to cover

Place all the ingredients into stockpot or Crockpot and simmer for 3 hours or set to low for 8 hours.

Strain and divide into 1 quart containers or make a soup for dinner.

There is a great Pasta Fagiole recipe on this site that I plan on making with my turkey stock.

No comments :