Wish Upon A Dish: Jamaican Pork Tenderloin and a Wild Rice & Collard Casserole

February 11, 2011

Jamaican Pork Tenderloin and a Wild Rice & Collard Casserole

The Nudge really likes Long Grain & Wild Rice. I buy the Carolina brand package (just enough for 4 servings). I had a half a box of frozen chopped collards I had from a dip I made for Super Bowl Sunday (different post later). When ever I find small containers or bags of vegetables I try to add them into a dish going forward. I also found a snack bag of peppers onions and garlic in the freezer, so I added that also. A beaten egg, a spoonful of cream cheese and a splash of cream.....into the oven it went. I added a few toasted Pepita's for a topping and it was really good. The perfect side for my tenderloin.


I make this recipe at least 4x a year, which is a lot because I only repeat maybe 6 dishes during a 6 month period.

I like this recipe because it uses one baking dish and one bowl, it is foolproof and can be made for company. Prepare the meat, pour over the sauce and throw in the oven 30 minutes before you eat. The rest of the time you can enjoy your company.

Jamaican Tenderloin
Serves 4, can be doubled successfully
* 1- 1/2 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed of silver skin
* 1 cup marinara sauce
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
* 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* salt & pepper
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/2 cup vermouth
* 1 tablespoon of butter for finishing

1. Brown pork on all sides in an oven save dish.
2. To marinara sauce add all the spices, sugar, salt & pepper and bay leaf.
3. Pour mixture over pork, and then pour vermouth over that. Do not stir in the vermouth. Cover with lid or foil, and bake for 25 minutes in a 375F oven.
4. Instant read thermometer should read 145 degrees. Remove pork to a warmed platter and cover with foil.
5. Remove bay leaf from sauce. Stir in butter. Slice pork into 1/2" diagonal slices and pour sauce over. Serve.

No comments :