Wish Upon A Dish: Salmon Switcher roo.........

February 1, 2011

Salmon Switcher roo.........

I have a confession to make, I burnt the Bolognese Sauce....in a crockpot of all things.

I usually make an Easy Spaghetti Bolognese (from the Williams Sonoma site) in my 5 cup Crockpot.

I really took pains to brown the bacon and meat (usually I just throw everything in). It was going to be good.

Towards the end I set the lid off to the side to allow some liquid to evaporate and thicken and I guess after I took my medicine and crawled into bed, I forgot about the pot and left it on.

Lucky it was a crockpot not a pan on the stove. I love the ceramic inserts, nothing sticks to them.

Unfortunately I have to start over. I hate wasting food, especially by me....being forgetful....at my age!!
I can not count on my digits how many pans of onions I burnt because I get engrossed with something on this computer.

And, yes, I once blew the bottom out of my 3 quart saucepan boiling something down to nothing.

I think I will make the salmon tonight. My cold has progressed to the 'tickling in the throat and coughing' stage and I seem to have some energy today and this will be the easiest thing for me to cook.

I will just make the bolognese another day.

About Salmon: Salmon is a highly nutritious food. Of course, it is high in protein, and the “good fats." But did you know that a 4 oz serving of wild salmon provides a full day’s requirement of vitamin D? It is one of the few foods that can make that claim. That same piece of fish contains over half of the necessary B12, niacin, and selenium, and is an excellent source of B6 and magnesium. Canned salmon also contains large amounts of calcium (due to the bones of the fish).
Omega-3 fats seem to primarily work through reducing inflammation in our bodies. Inflammation is turning out to be at the base of many health problems, including heart disease, diabetes, some types of cancers and arthritis. Omega-3’s also help prevent the blood clots which cause many strokes.



I know it isn't pretty but it was tasty. I would have preferred a Steelhead Salmon but the only wild caught they had was Sockeye. Sockeye is a soft salmon with a BIG salmon taste, great for burgers but not my favorite for roasting.

Having only 1 choice, I bought a nice side weighing 1 pound. I cut 2-6oz portions for tonight and the rest will be processed for the burgers on Friday.

I am lucky to have cooked anything at all. I am glad I had leftover corn & crab puddings. The Nudge and shared one as a side dish.

I felt bad about the poorly prepared meal that I made some oatmeal cookies for him.

Pineapple-Ginger Chutney
Ingredients
* 1 pound fresh pineapple, diced
* 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
* 1/2 cup currants
* 1 small shallot, chopped
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* Juice of 1 lemon
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1/4 cup agave nectar
* 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts

Method
Combine the pineapple, red pepper, currants, shallot, ginger, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon stick, honey and vinegar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in macadamia nuts. Serve warm or cold.

Nutrition
Per serving (About 2 Tbsp/36g-wt.): 35 calories (10 from fat), 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g protein, 8g total carbohydrate (less than 1g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium

No comments :