Wish Upon A Dish: Stuffed Cabbage Soup

February 15, 2011

Stuffed Cabbage Soup

This month is American Heart Month. I try to have soup for dinner once a week in the winter. This recipe fits both.


The Nudge does not like stuffed cabbage but he likes my soups.
If I told him cabbage soup he would furrow his forehead and go into dinner thinking stinky cabbage soup.

We all know that when cabbage is cooked slow and long it gets very sweet and practically disintegrates.

I took a recipe from Saveur.com for Stuffed Cabbage and turned it into a stoup.

I bought some wheat berries at Whole Foods. I have always wanted to try them. I know that they are usually used in salads but I think they will work in a soup also.

At the last minute because I did not have any bread and I knew The Nudge missed lunch and would be starving, I made dumplings.

I am glad I did.

When he isn't nicely full he will eat pretzels or crackers and he needs to be healthier also.


Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Adapted from Saveur.com
* 2 cups chopped cabbage
* 1 shallot, minced
* 2 slices pancetta, diced
* 1 tsp EVOO
* 3 small carrots, diced
* 1/4 sliced leeks
* 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
* 1 quart chicken stock
* 1/2 cup wheat berries
* 2 tsp cumin
* 1 tsp sage
* 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
* 1 cup diced, cooked chicken

Chop the pancetta and saute in EVOO until cooked through.
Add the shallots, carrots, leeks and cabbage. Saute until softened.
Add chicken stock, cooked chichen, tomatoes, wheat berries and spices.
Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.

Take 1 cup self-rising flour and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Mix until a moist biscuit-like texture, adding buttermilk as needed. I added a half teaspoon of smoked paprika to the flour for extra flavor. Using 2 soup spoons I dropped 6 nounds of dough on top of the stew and covered and simmered for 10 minutes.


It might not be great looking or very gourmet, but it is delicious, warming on a cold night, filling and extremely healthy for every diet.

That's a win-win in my book!

No comments :