Wish Upon A Dish: Superbowl Chili and bonus Chicken Wings

February 6, 2011

Superbowl Chili and bonus Chicken Wings

I changed my chili recipe.....so today was a test.

WHAT?!?

That's what The Nudge said.

"Yeah, that's smart. Take something really good and change it."

I wanted to make a Texas-style chili. I am starting to not be a fan of chopped meat.

It's mealy when it cooks a long time and if I can not get to my butcher who will grind brisket for me, I really do not want to know what my Shop-Rite uses in their ground meat.

I have found that I really, really like diced real meat in my recipes. I bought 2 club steaks and cut them into 1/2" dice. I also bought 2 sweet Italian sausages, removed them from their casings and sauteed them in a Dutch Oven.

Add the beef, 1/2 a sweet onion, 3 garlic cloves.

Simmered that for 1 hour. Added a 4 chili spice blend (1 part each New Mexico Green Pepper powder, Ancho Chili powder, Negro Pasilla powder and Guajillo Chili powder) and let that heat to bloom the spices.

Added 1 bottle of Bass Ale, 2 fire roasted tomatoes and 1/2 cup juice, 1/2 diced red pepper and simmered for 2 more hours.

I then added 1 can black beans and 3 corn tortillas (cut into julienned strips) and simmered another 20 minutes. This will thicken the chili and add a nice corn and slight lard flavor.

Done.

I also found a package of chicken wings in the freezer so I baked them in a mixture of Ponzu, Terriyaki sauce, garlic, ginger, lime and lemon juice, herbs de provence and pepper.

They will bake for 1 1/2 hours till they are ooey gooey glazed.

The Nudge did not want sweet or hot so I made a neutral marinade. You really can not screw up wings. Anything is good on a wing, so use up the odds and ends of bottles of sauces you have in the fridge. I was able to recycle 3 bottles.

Review: Got 2 thumbs up!! I loved the chili....new recipe for us from now on.

No comments :