Wish Upon A Dish: Crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Kiss Cookies

March 5, 2011

Crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Kiss Cookies

While I was waiting for The Nudge to call in an update on his ATA from North Carolina I decided to make him and the girls at my dentist's office a tray of crispy gigunda oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Today I get my followup visit to see how my mouth is healing. Feels really funny with all these little stitches in my gum. It hurt once the Novocaine wore off and I had to take a Vicotin (well, maybe 2) but by the morning the swelling was way down and the only thing that hurt was where the injection sites for the needles were (that Oral Surgeon was BRUTAL!!!).

While my 4 month recovery takes place before I get all my brand new teeth installed I had a pair of temporary dentures made so I could at least eat something more than soup and yogurt. Tomorrow, they get fitted and adjusted if needed. Will be strange to wear them but I hear after about a month you get used to them. I will be happy when all my implants are firmly a part of my jaw, I am too much a "princess and a pea" girl and these dentures would drive me batty.

I think that was more then you really wanted to know, so on to the cookies.


I bought these tiny little chocolate kisses at the store last week. The Nudge likes his oatmeal cookies with a little chocolate in them and these were perfect.
He also likes crunchy cookies vs. the chewy soft ones I like.

Since I really do not need to eat cookies, I make them his way.

Crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes 1 dozen large cookies
* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
* 1 cup packed light brown sugar
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 cups rolled oats
* 1 cup mini kisses
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and spices. Set aside.

2. In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter and two sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl once. Add the flour and cinnamon in three additions, beating until just combined and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Do not over beat!

3. Stir in the oats and the chocolate chips, distributing evenly. Using a large ice cream scoop,drop the dough on parchment-lined baking sheets, keeping the cookies at least 2 inches apart. Flatten gently with the back of a spoon and bake for about 18 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through. The cookies are done when they turn lightly golden around the edges, and the tops look almost dry. Cool on the baking sheets for a minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. The cookies are best still slightly warm, but you can successfully store them in an airtight container for up to a few days.

No comments :