Wish Upon A Dish: A good steak, a twice-baked spud and creamed spinach

March 12, 2011

A good steak, a twice-baked spud and creamed spinach

My gums have healed and the stitches are out....yay, I can eat in the sun again.
Last night I tried to bite into a juicy hamburger but that did not go so well. I had to cut it into wedges and then bite into it. Too much too soon.

Hey, I have to learn to eat differently. I am just happy to be able to eat something that isn't mush.

So, tonight, in honor of The Nudge being understanding and not requesting a steak or pork chop this last two weeks, I went to the butcher's and bought him a really nice Rib Eye. Tomorrow night we are grilling his other meat love, a boneless pork loin chop. I have this miso marinade and glaze that I will use and brine them overnight. I always brine my chicken and pork.

I make my twice baked potato the same way most of us do. Sour cream, sauteed red pepper, onions and mushrooms and cheese. I always scour the packages of "cheese ends" that you can get for under a dollar.

Creamed spinach is the best. Fat-free half & half, nutmeg and fresh spinach along with roasted garlic, onions and lots of black pepper and Parma cheese.

Want to come over for dinner?

Twice Baked Potato
makes 2 halves
* 1 baking potato, nuked for 5 minutes
* 1 tablespoon lite sour cream
* 1/4 sliced onion
* 1/4 red pepper, sliced
* 1 tablespoon chopped mushrooms
* salt & pepper
* 1 tablespoon fat-free half & half
* 1/4 cup cheese
Roast pepper, onion and 2 cloves of garlic in EVOO for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Chop finely.
Remove insides of potato with a melon baller, careful to not break through the skin.
Mash potato with everything else and stuff into each half, over stuffing is encouraged. Save a few fingerfuls of cheese for topping right at the end. These can be baked ahead just run it under the broiler right before serving.

Creamed Spinach
makes 2 cups
* 2 large bags of Dole baby spinach
* 1/4 cup chopped onions
* 1 clove garlic
* EVOO
* 1/2 cup fat-free half & half
* 1 tablespoon flour
* salt & pepper
* grated nutmeg
* 2 tablespoons grated Parma cheese
In large stockpot heat EVOO. Add spinach, cover and steam until wilted (you may have to do it in batches).
Add the onions, garlic,and flour. Cook for 1 minute.
Add cream and nutmeg.
Cook until it bubbles and thickens. Add salt & pepper to taste and the Parma cheese.

No comments :