Wish Upon A Dish: Testing Recipes with Instant Oatmeal

March 26, 2011

Testing Recipes with Instant Oatmeal

Last week I made pancakes using an instant flavored oatmeal packet. I buy as many different flavors that I can.

I recently found a new Quaker Oats Cream flavored oatmeal box.
Peaches 'n Cream, Blueberries 'n Cream....etc.

This time I used my French Toast Oatmeal with dried cherries and maple syrup.
I started with an Ina recipe for Oat and Maple Scones but adjusted the amounts and a few of the ingredients.

I can bake scones and biscuits, which I attribute to the fact that it's all about the feel not the exact measurements. I do well with sweets like that also.

I love that Ina uses her stand mixer to make them. So much more easier than a processor or even a wooden spoon. The paddle attachment does a decent job of breaking the cold butter into pea sized bits, and I did not cut it small either.

I wanted to use Cary's Sugar-free syrup, along with Splenda and whole wheat pastry flour.

To my surprise they stayed exceptionally moist and tender. That never happens to me when I bake with Splenda and ww pastry flour.

You have to like oats to like these scones. I love them because they are really healthy and will be wonderful with a cup of coffee, if that is, The Nudge doesn't eat them all over the weekend.

Maple Cherry Oatmeal Scones
makes 8
* 1 1/2 cups AP flour
* 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
* 1 1/2 sticks of cold unsalted butter, cubed
* 1 tbls baking powder
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
* 1/4 cup dried cherries, soaked in hot water & drained
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tbls Splenda No Calorie
* 1/4 cup Maple Syrup or sugar-free syrup
* 1 single serve packet of French Toast Instant Oatmeal or 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
* 2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 400F.
In stand mixer or processor, add all dry ingredients along with butter.
Blend until butter is the size of peas.
Add liquid ingredients and mix until dry ingredients are all but mixed in.
Leave a few spoons in the bottom of bowl. You don't want to overmix.
On board, mound scones and knead until there is no dry ingredients left.
Shape dough into an 8-9" round and with a floured knife, cut into 8 wedges.
With an egg wash or cream, brush the tops and sprinkle on palm sugar.
Bake for 25 minutes. Cool on rack.
Enjoy!!

No comments :