March 10, 2011

What does Gourmet mean to you?

Wikipedia states that Gourmet (pronounced /ɡɔrˈmeɪ/) is a cultural ideal associated with the culinary arts of fine food and drink, or haute cuisine, which is characterised by elaborate preparations and presentations of large meals of small, often quite rich courses.

The term and its associated practices are usually used positively to describe people of refined taste and passion.

I, personally, think that it has come a long way from that definition.

I asked The Nudge over dinner, if he could sum up that word in one sentence, what would it be?
He pretty much said "better quality food".

I said "attention to details".

I imagine if you took a survey on the streets of any cosmopolitan city you would get different answers then from the streets of an rural city.

Why?

Well, people who have access to really good restaurants and markets and pretty much can eat or buy any food they want will have a higher expectation of what they consider gourmet.

To a farmer in the middle of rural Kansas, he might say "gourmet is eating in a restaurant, period".

I may be wrong but I think the word gourmet is as personal as the word lasagna, everyone has a different interpretation.

Reason I ask.............

Is eating a Caprese Salad considered gourmet?

To someone who can only fathom what fresh mozzarella tastes like (oh they have seen it on TV and on blogs) let along burrata, it would be very gourmet to them.

I have been on 15 cruises and I always get a kick out the Mid-Westerners, who mouths remain open the whole week. They are in awe at all that food from the buffets to even the simple tea sandwiches. You would have thought they were made with foie gras. To me they are ham & cheese sandwiches. Doesn't mean I am better then they are but that I have been exposed to more ingredients in the foodie nation (and for those who think I might be a snob, I do not like foie gras except in a pate).

To me some of the home cooking from rural, farm areas is gourmet. I miss my garden terribly. Where I live there is a small farmers market but they never have the heirloom vegetables I would die to eat. That's gourmet to me.

That being said, comes down to the title of my blog.

The Healthy Gourmet.

I'm sure some viewers think my food is very Jr. Woman's Club and those that think it's better than that.
I like to think that my food is approachable (you can find the ingredients in any market) and tasty, while being healthy for a diabetic and weight conscious person.

I would love to get more exotic but I am only allowed to throw in one unique ingredient a week on The Nudge.
That was the agreement we made.

I do think that you can make a gourmet meal with only 5 ingredients as long as those ingredients are the best you can buy and cooked to perfection, after all, it is in the details.

No comments :