Wish Upon A Dish: Baby Lamb Chops with Lemon & a side of Tabbouleh

April 18, 2011

Baby Lamb Chops with Lemon & a side of Tabbouleh

Today is Mediterranean Monday and I picked Baby Lamb Chops with Lemon.

It's warm enough to grill, so grill I will. A side of tabbouleh and we have a healthy, flavorful and easy meal.

I can eat the tabbouleh all week.

I have to confess the last time I had a tabbouleh salad was 25 years ago. Yes, I eat Bulgar all the time, just not with the Greek ingredients and a lemon & olive oil dressing. I love all the stuff that goes into it just never made them with Bulgar, always with lettuce. This will be The Nudge's first tabbouleh salad.

I spent the better part of the morning driving to South jersey to bring my Dad to Deborah's Heart & Lung Center, then a fast scoot to the dentist to polish up loose ends before my vacation next month.


This was easy, marinate lamb chops, chop vegetables and steam Bulgar. Easy, easy, easy. I couldn't find any fresh mint in the market and I really thought they would be already popping up in my herb garden but all I got was 3 little buds. I will use some fresh basil I bought instead. Hey, Greek's use basil too.














Lamb Chops with Lemon

serves 4
* 6-8 porterhouse lamb chops, 1" thick
* 1/4 cup EVOO
* 3 garlic cloves, smashed
* salt & pepper
* smoked paprika
* 1 stem rosemary, chopped
* 1 tbls fresh mint, chopped
* 12-16 thinly sliced lemon slices (about 2 lemons)
Place all ingredients in a container and marinade at least 1 hour.
Heat a grill or grill pan. Cook chops 4 minutes on each side and the lemon slices until golden brown on the edges.

Serve lamb with lemon.

Tabbouleh
makes approximately 3 cups
* 1 cup Bulgar wheat
* 1 1/2 cups boiling water
* 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
* 1/4 cup good olive oil
* 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch)
* 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (1 bunch)
* 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)
* 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
* 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
* 10 Kalamata olives, slices
* 2 slices feta cheese, diced
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Place the Bulgar in a large bowl, pour in the boiling water, and add the lemon juice, olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Stir, then allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.

Add the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, olives and feta along with 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper; mix well. Season, to taste, and serve or cover and refrigerate. The flavor will improve if the tabbouleh sits for a few hours.

I would let the tabbouleh sit outside the fridge for bit, just to get the cold off it.

No comments :