Wish Upon A Dish: Deviled Ham Salad Remembered

April 27, 2011

Deviled Ham Salad Remembered

Another overnight trip down South Jersey means I have to leave something in the fridge for The Nudge to eat for dinner.

Something easy for me to make usually means something on bread. Last week he made a hotdog and egg salad on the last 3 hot dog rolls.

This week, because I have a nice thick slice of Tavern Ham, he will get a ham salad on a pocketless pita. I don't remember ever making a ham salad in my life. I do remember long time ago, seeing a recipe using that canned Devil Ham. Maybe I can find a recipe for that and adapt it. Nowadays you can find anything on the web, especially after most people will be making huge baked hams for Easter and have plenty of leftovers.

Did not take me long. I found a blog who talked about that canned Underwood Deviled Ham last year, just as I have done here.

I think I will add some minced swiss cheese after I process it, just to give it a little more texture.

Deviled Ham Salad
adapted from Homesick Texan
* 2 cups ham, chopped
* 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1/4 of a pepper)
* 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
* 1 large dill pickle, diced
* 1 jalapeƱo, diced
* 3 tablespoons mayo
* 3 tablespoons mustard
* Salt and black pepper to taste

In a food processor, mix all the ingredients together until blended but not too smooth as you want a bit of texture. Taste and adjust any seasoning or add more mayonnaise and mustard if you like. A little drizzle of pickle juice is excellent as well.

Yield: About 2 cups. Keeps in the refrigerator for a few days.

No comments :