Wish Upon A Dish: Diabetic Friendly Stuffed Mushrooms

May 4, 2011

Diabetic Friendly Stuffed Mushrooms

I love the standard stuffed mushrooms. I make a platter every Thanksgiving.

You know the ones....

Italian sausage, onions, garlic, wine, lots of bread crumbs, olive oil and grated cheese. Baked in the oven braised with butter and EVOO.

Not the most healthy of appetizers but oooooooh sooooooo good.

I bought some small zucchinis to make a batch of pickles (recipe here) and couldn't use it all. While I was there I discovered gigunda mushrooms at $.99 a pound. Who could pass that up.
I bought 3.

I wanted to try and make them healthy without all those bread crumbs and sausage, but still very tasty.

This is what I did:
I chopped about 2 tablespoons of zucchini into 1/4" cubes.
I did the same with 4 slices from a half a small white onion.
I simmered 1/4 cup quinoa in water.
I diced a few slices of roasted red peppers.
I chopped 5-6 Kalamata olives
I mixed 1 tablespoon egg beaters with 2 tablespoons Romano cheese.
1 chopped 3 slices of mozzarella into 1/4" cubes.

I took the stems out of the caps and chopped them. In a saucepan I sauteed the onion, zucchini and mushroom pieces until they were GB&D.

After that cooled down I mixed everything else together, stuffed the caps, brushed them with garlic flavored olive oil and baked them for 30 minutes.

We are testing them tonight with dinner.

These were excellent.
The Nudge said they were light but very flavorful. He also said he could make a meal out of just these, alone.

I agree, they really hit the spot when you have a craving for stuffed mushrooms.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :