Wish Upon A Dish: Delicious & Healthy Summer Berry Crisp

June 6, 2011

Delicious & Healthy Summer Berry Crisp

I love berries, almost as much as I adore citrus.
Problem with fresh berries, especially raspberries, is they mold easily.

I never wash them until right before using but even though they are not in a frigerated section of the market, you really should but them in the ice box.

I bought blackberries and raspberries on Saturday & I put them in a cooler with ice in it and I am guessing since the raspberries could not "breath", a few had mold on them only 2 days later. Luckily it was only two of them. The blackberries, which are a hardier berry, were fine.

Not wanting to temp fate and have to throw them out in a few days, I decided to make a berry crisp.

I have a tried and true recipe for fruit crisps that is low-fat, low-cal, diabetic friendly and really good.

I have made this recipe with pluots, pears, nectarines and now berries.

Blueberries, blackberries and raspberries are mixed together with orange juice, lemon zest, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and some flour for thickening.

A rolled oat crust, pretty typical ingredients used for a crisp but whole wheat pastry flour and butter spread along with Splenda make it low-cal, low-fat and very diabetic friendly.

Although the recipe calls for a 30 minute bake, I actually baked it for an hour because it is in a deep casserole instead of ramekins. Once you see the fruit lava bubbling up along the sides you know it is done. I will let it rest, then cover and refrigerate it to serve for tomorrow after my vegetable lasagna. A quick nuke will reheat it enough to go well with a scoop of frozen yogurt.

No comments :