Wish Upon A Dish: My New Favorite Thing

June 3, 2011

My New Favorite Thing

My SIL (sister-in-law) who is also a Diabetic told me about this new product by Thomas'.

I have eaten their sandwich thins before but wasn't all that thrilled with them.
Should I spend yet more money on something I will eventually feed to the groundhogs?

When I saw them at Wal-Marts yesterday, checked their nutrition label, I decided to give them a try. Since summer is here I have not really been in the mood for my usual breakfast burrito.

When I was young and went discoing, we would end the night of dancing with a trip to the local Diner. Everyone else got eggs or a burger, I would always order my favorite of an broiled open faced bagel with chicken salad, onions and American cheese. I must have eaten hundreds of them during all those many clubbing years.

Since I do not make late night foray's to Diners anymore, I haven't had a chance to have a chicken salad bagel. I planned on making a chicken Caesar salad with a leftover grilled breast I had in the refrigerator but changed my mind after I buying Thomas' Bagel Thins.

To see the nutritional facts, click on this pic.
I like them. They have more body to them than the sandwich thins and hold up better to scoops of chicken salad.

Yes, they are not like a NY bagel, but they do have a nice chewy crust just like a bagel and eating only half is filling and only 55 calories. It's a win-win good thing.

Chicken Salad
serves 4
* 1 large cooked chicken breast, diced
* 2 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise or an olive oil based store-bought one
* 1/2 roasted red pepper, diced
* 1/4 Vidalia onion, minced
* salt & pepper
* 1 tablespoon bleu cheese crumbles

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
One ice cream scoop per bagel half, topped with provolone cheese
Broil 10 minutes until cheese starts to brown. Remove, cool and garnish with parsley or chervil (which I have growing on my windowsill away from the heat)

No comments :