Wish Upon A Dish: Cranberry, Apple and Pear Tart

December 23, 2011

Cranberry, Apple and Pear Tart


It's funny how when Christmas falls on a Sunday you loose all track of the date. This year was no different.
All week I thought it was Tuesday when it was Monday, so when I was done with all my Holiday dishes, I was at a loss.

I don't so well with days off. I just can't do nothing.


So, what's a gal to do on her day off? You got it. Bake a tart.
I had 3 cups of fresh cranberries that were calling my name.


I am so happy with my effort. My kitchen smells like a Christmas cookie factory.
You will love this recipe. A press-in crust, no fail filling and a topping tested by the best test kitchen staff ever.


Looks good so far, huh? The Nudge thought it was too pretty to cover with streusel, but I promised him the next one will have a custard filling.


This recipe is my own but you need to know I got my inspiration from the three most influential chefs I admire the most, Jacques Pepin, Martha Stewart and Ina Garten. The crust was from Jacques, the streusel from Ina and the filling from Martha.

I can cook anything without a recipe but I am lots less sure about my baking. Hey, I just mastered pancakes without a recipe. Only took me 45 years.

I should have used more cranberries and less streusel. I personally have realized that in some cases, less is oh, so, much, better and it only took me 46 years.
Pear, Apple and Cranberry Tart with Streusel Topping
Makes 1 (9") tart

Streusel:
* 1/2 cup AP flour
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 4 tablespoons melted butter
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

Filling:
* 2 firm Bosc pears, peeled, cored and sliced crosswise into 1/4" slices
* 4 apple slices, cut into 1/4" slices, then cut to fit space
* 12 fresh cranberries
Crust:
* 3/4 cup flour
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 cup lard + butter
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 2 tablespoons buttermilk

1. Dump all the ingredients for the crust into a food processor (or hand mixer) and pulse until a ball starts to form. Remove the dough and with the help of plastic wrap, press the dough into a 9" tart pan and up the sides. Place the pan in the fridge to chill and set, about 30 minutes.

2. Cut the fruit into slices and arrange over the dough (you can also fan them longways like the hands of a clock, alternating pear and apple slices). Drop cranberries so they fill in any empty spaces using more than you think you need, they will pop as they cook and the juices will settle into all the empty spaces. Yum!

3. In a bowl, mix the streusel ingredients and sprinkle on top.

4. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes, then up the oven to 350 for another 20 minutes.
Remove tart and cool.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :