Wish Upon A Dish: Linguine with Mussels and Crab with Sherry Cream Sauce

January 11, 2012

Linguine with Mussels and Crab with Sherry Cream Sauce



Every once in a while I find a sale that makes it easy for me to justify the buy of something prepared that I would never usually purchase. If I don't like it, there is no guilt if I toss it.

This recipe originally called for only crab meat but when I saw frozen fresh mussels in a wine sauce, I thought it would be a perfect addition to the expensive crab and then I would not need to use as much. The mussels are frozen, fresh and unopened, vacuum sealed with a wine sauce. I got two dozen for $2.00 (more then half off), and all I have to do is make the sherry cream sauce, snip open the bag, drop in the mussels with sauce, cover the pan and steam until they open.

So, instead of a whole pound of lump crab meat, I can get away with only an 8oz packet. I thought maybe of just serving the crab and mussels in the sauce with a nice loaf of bread but The Nudge wanted thin linguine.

Crab and Mussel Linguine with Sherry Cream Sauce
makes 4 servings
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen

* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or EVOO)
* 2 shallots, minced
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1/2 cup dry sherry
* 1 cup cream (or light)
* Dozen fresh frozen mussels in wine sauce
* 2 teaspoons grated zest and 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
* salt & pepper
* pound linguine
* 8oz crab meat, picked over for shells
* 1/4 cup finely chopped chives or scallions

1. Brings 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and pepper flakes and cook until slightly darkened, about 2 minutes. Add cream and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Add frozen mussels, cover pot and simmer until they open, discarding any unopened ones. Off heat, add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.

2. Add 1 tablespoon salt to linguine to boiling water and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, drain pasta and return to pot. Add sauce, crab meat, lemon zest, and chives and toss to combine, adding reserved pasta water as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.


Review: This was excellent and the mussels were wonderful. I wasn't sure what to expect but they were tender, sweet and fresh. If I ever see another sale, this recipe is going on the menu. Enjoy!

No comments :