Wish Upon A Dish: Baked Egg in a Chorizo Piperade Sauce

February 27, 2012

Baked Egg in a Chorizo Piperade Sauce



I am alone for a week (if I say this many times during the next four days it's because I have a love/hate relationship with the Nudge's travels).

I love that I don't have to have dinner on the table 15 minutes after he walks through the door.

I hate that I miss him as much as I do (I used to embrace being alone).

I love that I can make just about anything for meals and there is no one to complain about it (I certainly won't).

I hate that I make my most inspired meals when he's not home and there is no one to share them with.

I love that I have my cats all to myself and they shower me with unconditional love (they know when I need taking care of).

I hate that I become a whirling dervish and spring clean the house and no one is here to pat me on the back.

I love Thursday nights because he'll be home on Friday and will offer to take me out for calamari and antipasto, over a bottle of red wine, because he wants to tell me all about his trip.

It's OK, I can always tell him about my week another time, he's so happy to see me.

Last night I made a "off the top of my head" chorizo sauce with orrechiette and a baked egg.

Yum, it was good. All done in my baby cast iron pan. Yes, there is pasta under all that saucy goodness. Yes, I could have eaten it without pasta but why would I? It was only 1/2 cup and there is no one here to complain anyways.



Chorizo Piparaade
makes 1 serving, can be doubled as many times as you want

* 1 Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed
* 1 large shallot, sliced
* 1/4 cup sliced red peppers
* 2 large mushrooms, halved and sliced
* Olive oil
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 1/2 cup fire roasted crushed tomatoes
* 1 egg
* salt & pepper
* 1/2 cup cooked orecchiette pasta

1. Saute chorizo in olive oil in a heated cast iron pan, breaking up as it cooks. Add peppers, shallot and mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are slightly softened.
2. Add wine and reduce until almost all moisture is gone. Add tomatoes and salt & pepper.
3. Cover and simmer while the pasta water boils.
4. Once pasta is in pot, add egg into the middle of the sauce in the cast iron pan. Cover and simmer until the white is cooked and the yolk is still runny.
5. Strain pasta into serving bowl, slide contents of cast iron pan over pasta and serve.

Hurry home, honey...I hate eating all this good food without you!!

Pin It

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Lovely dish, perfect for a Sunday brunch, will cook it next weekend