Wish Upon A Dish: Guinness-Marinated Steak

March 17, 2012

Guinness-Marinated Steak



St Patty's Day in my house. I married the most un-Irish, Irish man I could find. I swear, I am more "Irish" then him.

For example....he refuses to eat cabbage, and if he eats corned beef it's piled high on two slices of rye with a good Dijon mustard. He loves a really good Aged Cheddar but only if its from Canada. He drinks a light Amsterdam beer and would not be seen within 5 miles of a parade.

I firmly believe St. Patty's Day and all the Irishness that surrounds it, is celebrated more by people with no Irish heritage (like me) and the real Irish retailers are simply cleaning up because of that. Excuse me here, need I remind you of Cinco de Mayo?

That aside, if you go to Ireland you will not find a lick of corned beef. But I imagine most of you already knew that. What I love about all this is the story behind how corned beef became an Irish tradition in the United States.

Story has it that a pub in New York never received his delivery of meat for his traditional party after the St. Patty's Day parade (which is also an American invention) so he ran to a local Jewish Deli down the street and bought all the meat he could. So happens, all they had enough of was, you guessed it, corned beef. Long story short....into a pot with the potatoes and cabbage (quickest way to cook it) it easily replaced the expensive bacon usually eaten with cabbage and an American Irish Tradition was born.

Last year I did make an attempt at what might be considered an appropriate Irish-themed meal (but still no corned beef) and cooked a pork tenderloin with a Guinness Sauce. Well, they do eat pork across the pond.

When your other half can not care less about a traditional St. Patty's Day meal and is not fond of Guinness enough to join the ranks of drunk green beer drinkers (that would be I), you simply go to the store, buy a pint of Guinness and cook with it. I can be as green as the best of them.

My contribution for St Pat's this year is a Guinness Steak, mashed potatoes and Brussel Sprouts. Yes, baby cabbage he will eat (close enough for me).
A menu any leprechaun would enjoy.

Never one to waste a half pint of Guinness, a Stumbled on a a Chocolate Stout Cake with Cream Cheese Icing that I think will make us happy we are "wearin'o the green". You think next year I will finally get my Corned Beef Hash?

Guinness-Marinated Steak
* Rib-eyes or flank steak
* 1 pint of Guinness beer
* 2 large red onions, cut into 1/2 inch rounds and skewered through the middle
* 1 5.2-ounce container Boursin cheese, frozen
* Kosher salt
* Freshly ground black pepper

Procedures
1. Pat the steak dry with paper towels and place in a shallow, nonreactive container. Place onion slices on top of the steak and pour in the Guinness. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, or up to overnight.
2. Remove the steak and onions from the marinade and brush lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat indoor grill over high heat until very hot. Place steak and onions on the grill and Cook until the steak and onions have browned nicely, about 6 to 8 minutes, then flip and continue to cook until the other side is browned and the meat is done to your liking, about another 5-6 minutes for medium rare. Remove from the grill, shave a thin layer of Boursin on the top of the steak and onions and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

Since I discovered this recipe for sprouts, I make them no other way. Thanks Deb!!



I also grilled a halved heart of romaine lettuce and made a Caesars Salad Dressing (yes, from scratch) and the hot of the lettuce with the cold dressing and interior was a big hit.
I know I will be making grilled romaine all summer, all with different dressings and toppings.

Pin It

No comments :