Wish Upon A Dish: Mom's Nutty Granola

March 26, 2012

Mom's Nutty Granola

I just confirmed a two week Transatlantic Cruise to Europe. In two days we had flights and rooms confirmed. It still hasn't sunk in, I mean, as of Thursday we were still thinking of where to go on our 30th Anniversary.

This will be my 13th cruise (no, I am not superstitious) but only my second time to Europe. This re-positioning cruise is only a few years old and the fact that we leave out of NJ is a big plus. No worries about customs, luggage and not starting the vacation until you spend a day flying. Soon as we get into our room, we unpack and off to explore the ship, find a lounge, have a glass of wine, make a toast and wait for them to get underway. Up to the top deck to wave goodbye to the Statue of Liberty as we float under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. YAY!!

The best part of this is I will actually be meeting second cousins in Rome. We decided to extend the vacation two more days so I can see the Coliseum, have my gelato and hug all my cousins (I may need more then two days for that alone!).
I never thought I would actually stand on Italian soil. I am, needless to say, in seventh heaven.

With 6 full days at sea I will be attending cooking classes, wine tastings and maybe even a painting class. I know I will be playing bocce ball and I will be eating some of the best meals on one of the best cruise lines and taking plenty of notes so I can come home and extend my vacation even longer. It also means I should plan on eating a very healthy diet for the next four weeks.

Starting tomorrow we will TRY to start a four week grain diet. This diet plan includes a grain at each meal, and each meal will be gourmet. No plain dishes here or I would never get The Nudge to participate. I am not designing my own plan, I am following a Food and Wine diet that was developed using existing recipes published on their site created with a Registered Dietitian.

I probably won't use all their recipes, we are not fans of tofu or oatmeal, but I will use a grain in all of the meals.

List of Whole Grains

I am starting the week off with a nutty granola. I like that this granola is more nuts then dried fruits and will make a very nice breakfast over yogurt.

On vacation I eat Muesli over yogurt, so I am truly getting into the European breakfast.



Mom's Nutty Granola
Makes 7 servings

* 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
* 1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts (I added cashews)
* 1/2 cup unsalted roasted almonds
* 1/2 cup unsalted roasted pumpkin seeds
* 1/2 cup unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
* 1/4 cup wheat germ (I added bran)
* 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast (I added this)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon hot water
* 3/4 cup honey
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup raisins (I added mixed fruits)

1. Preheat the oven to 325°. In a bowl, toss the oats, nuts, seeds and wheat germ. In a small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water. Whisk in the honey and oil. Stir the liquid into the nuts to coat thoroughly, then spread on a large rimmed baking sheet.

2. Bake the granola in the center of the oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until nearly dry. Turn off the oven and prop the door open halfway; let the granola cool in the oven, stirring. Toss the granola with the raisins; store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.



I bought a box of 2% milk to go to work with The Nudge so he can eat his granola cereal-style. My first homemade granola. I know, what the devil took me so long?

Pin It

1 comment :

Bree said...

This granola sounds great. Congrats on the upcoming trip!