Wish Upon A Dish: Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner.....olé!!

April 23, 2012

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner.....olé!!



We're coming down to the home stretch. My house passed inspection, my clothes are shrink-wrapped and awaiting their final destination and I can't stop hugging my kitty's. I threw away all the fresh dairy in my fridge (nothing worse then coming home to bad dairy), I have two meals left to make and I am running low on ingredients. I'd say I am ready to sail away.

We usually do at least a 9-10 day vacation because nowadays you spend two of those days traveling. Between the delays and lines at the airports or the traffic and pit stops on the road, you really only get 5 days of vacation when you do a week. This time, because we are sailing right from Bayonne, NJ, we start our vacation the very first day and being away for a full 15 days has it's drawbacks.

I am a type A personality.......

"The theory describes a Type A individual as ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status conscious, can be sensitive, care for other people, are truthful, impatient, always try to help others, take on more than they can handle, want other people to get to the point, proactive, and obsessed with time management. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics" who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence."

After 7 days I want to go home. Well, I don't but I do. If I have something to entertain my mind, I can stretch those 7 days to 10 but that's about when I am "vacationed out" and am itching to go home.

The Nudge is a Type B.....
"The theory describes Type B individuals as perfect contrast to those with Type A personalities. People with Type B personalities are generally apathetic, patient, relaxed, easy-going, no sense of time schedule, having poor organization skills, and at times lacking an overriding sense of urgency. These individuals tend to be sensitive of other people's feelings."

He's ready to retire tomorrow.

I have packed 5 audio books, 3 food magazines, 1 book and a hand-held game.
He has 1 book (which I bought for him).

It is important to me to have my life planned at least on paper. Oh, I am flexible to change that plan at any time but I fell better knowing where I am trying to go. Pitiful but true, I want you to know I have already started a list of things to do when I get home.

It was important to me that I have just enough food to get me to Saturday morning.
So far I am doing OK. I did run out of coffee creamer but I remembered I had a container of Creamora in my pantry (too funny).



I do have chorizo, chicken, beans, the end of my roasted peppers and inspiration from a southwest ravioli dish I had the pleasure of eating recently. Dinner tonight.

Tomorrow will be Spaghetti alla Siciliana. Why? Well, I have a bag of green peppers I need to use, a handful of Kalamata olives from the salad bar, a can of Tonnato I will throw in for the Omega's and a cup of fire-roasted tomatoes sharing the second shelf with the peppers.

Bagels, cream cheese and a small frittata will take care of a half brick of Philly, the last of my eggs and any bits of cheese or vegetables I find hiding from me. A loaf of bread will head down to my freezer chest and the last of some dinner rolls will be made into bread crumbs.

When I walk out of my house on Sunday morning, the only thing I will worry about is trying to say good-bye to the kitty's who will probably be happy we are going away because they get to visit with their favorite pet sitter (who brings them treats).



Olé Chicken Fettuccine
Makes 4 servings

* 1 large boneless chicken breast
* 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
* 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
* 3 cloves garlic, sliced
* 1 link Mexican chorizo, skinned and diced
* 1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1/2 red pepper, sliced
* 1/4 green pepper, sliced
* 1 cup corn
* 1 1/2 cup chicken stock (or one can)
* 1 cup grated melting cheese (jack, cheddar, fontina)
* 1/4 cup media crema or creme fraiche
* 1 teaspoon Mexican spice blend (taco, fajita packets) or Adobo
* pepper to taste
* 1-12oz box fettuccine or pasta of choice

1. Set a large pot of highly salted water to boil.
2. Rub chicken breast with teaspoon oil and sprinkle with with Mexican spices. Roast in a 375° oven for 23-25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 teaspoon oil in non-stick pan and saute chorizo until it renders it's fat. Add onions, peppers and corn and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until you can smell it.
4. Add beans and chicken stock and simmer, uncovered until the liquid reduces to half.
5. Drain pasta and add to skillet, tossing to coat with sauce.
6. Add 3/4 of the cheese, the cream and toss again. Remove to a large serving bowl, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
7. Slice chicken on the diagonal and place on top of pasta and garnish with herbs of choice.

Dinner is served!

Review: This dish was phenomenal. Make this the next time you want a WOW factor. Easy, one pot, 30 minute meal your family and guests will love. So much flavor in each bite.

Pin It

No comments :