Traditional is chopped tomatoes and onions served on grilled bread rubbed with a clove of garlic. Sometimes it is also done with cannelloni beans.
Mine is a chopped caprese salad on grilled bread.
First I roast a head of garlic and make a paste with it. That is spread on the grilled bread first. Then a few spoonfuls of a mixture of even-sized diced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, red onions, fresh garlic and roasted peppers.
That is drizzled with a glorious extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of Maldon Sea Salt.
We open a really yummy Chardonnay and make a toast to the coming summer. A toast for a toast!!
We have been doing this for over 15 years now and I only make this on that day.
makes 2 cups
* 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
* 1 medium ball fresh mozzarella, chopped
* 1/4 red onion, chopped
* 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
* 4 sliced of Prosciutto De Parma, diced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* olive oil to moisten
* 1 teaspoon balsamic glaze
* salt & pepper to taste
* 1/2 loaf of good Italian bread, sliced 1/4" on the diagonal, grilled
Next time you need a really good appetizer for a party, make this and see what people say. I guarantee you will be asked to make this many times.