My boo-boo is your good fortune. I own this recipe and I want to share it with you, especially at this time of year.
Making dumplings and ravioli's may seem daunting when you have to make the dough, but by using store-bought won ton wrappers, you can have Asian dumplings and lasagna in the same dish.
The end result was this East meets West by the Appian Way dish, making dumplings and lasagna accessible on a weeknight.
It was my choice to make individual portions and one recipe makes 8 ramekins or 24 buffet bites.
The Nudge's first reaction (besides it was too hot to eat) was exactly the reaction I was going for, see, because the ingredients were not revealed. He tried to bribe me (maybe he thought I was going to poison him) but was not successful.
Super easy, it tastes just like those wonderful dumplings in take-out Won Ton Soup. This recipe is for all of you, from the novice college student to the experienced cook, if you have measuring spoons, won ton wrappers, and aluminum pans, you can make this.
I will tell you......if you love Asian and Italian food, dumplings and lasagna, you have to make this. If you have ever wanted to impress your family and friends, place this in front of them but don't reveal what they taste like and wait for the applause. It will come and then the request for the recipe will follow.
The beauty of this is you can add whatever Asian vegetables your family will eat but my first try was perfect with a layer of seasoned pork and Shiitake mushrooms. Feel free to sub lean ground poultry for a healthier version and bok choy, bamboo shoots or water chestnuts for crunch.
Oh yea, it's that versatile.
I got so excited I
To affirm all the ingredients and directions, I also made 24 mini lasagnas in a muffin tin. Besides being as cute as a kitten, they also came out great. Now you can knock their socks off at your next dinner or football party and be prepared to hand out many recipes.
It might seem like a lot of work, but it is easy work and very easy to make, the only cooking required is to saute mushrooms. Everything can be made ahead, prepared ahead and baked ahead. Easy peasy done!!
Individual Wonton Lasagnas
makes (8) 6oz ramekin lasagnas or 24 mini lasagnas
- 1 package (48) won ton wrappers
- 1 cup cooked mushrooms, minced
- 1/2 pound ground pork, turkey or chicken
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger root
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 packet Stir-Fry Seasonings (I used Kikkoman)
- 1 1/2 cups College Inn chicken broth
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
Preheat oven to 350°
- Place meat and next 7 ingredients (to garlic) in a bowl and mix well.
- In a small saucepan, simmer broth and seasoning packet until it boils. Remove and cool.
- Spray baking pans with release agent and place one wonton wrapper into bottom, gently pressing down on each point until it hits the bottom. Does not have to be in snug.
- Place 1 teaspoon meat mixture on top of wrapper and repeat, making 2 layers for the mini lasagnas and three layers for the ramekins, ending with a wrapper.
- Pour 1 tablespoon broth mixture down the side of each mini lasagna and up to the top in the ramekins.
- Cover muffin pans loosely with foil.
- Place ramekins into larger baking pan filled with water, halfway up the sides and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes and remove, uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with grated cheese and then the sliced scallions.
Can be stored already cooked for 24 hours, covered in the refrigerator.
Reheat in a a 350° preheated oven for 10 minutes.
I also made a glaze that I drizzled on the mini lasagnas. It's Unami on steroids.
makes about 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai Style Chile Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
These are so easy to make, and easier to eat.
Come back Monday to see the details of my College Inn giveaway and the wonderful items included.