Wish Upon A Dish: Mexican Jumping Bean Pasta....because sometimes you need a little help.

September 17, 2012

Mexican Jumping Bean Pasta....because sometimes you need a little help.



I know I did not have this dish on the menu for last night but I honestly needed to eat something fiber-rich, not just vegetables, but fibrous vegetables.
Yes, my digestive tract needed a good scrubbing, there I said it. It happens to us all at one time or another. This was my 'nother.

The best way I know how to pack a punch into one dish is with whole grains, beans and fat soluble greenage. Keeping my promise to The Nudge to not buy any more food until I make a massive dent in the freezer, fridge and pantry that's where I started. I grabbed a can of beans, a bag of greens, a chorizo sausage from the freezer and a box of whole grain pasta from the basement and started dinner.

I am not a fan of these types of dinners, but I simply had to give a jump start to my tummy.

I added a half an onion, 2 cups of chicken broth, a red pepper, 4 thinly sliced garlic cloves and 1 tablespoon of fajita spices.

I wasn't all that bad, it was actually quite tasty. If I was to make this again, I would add tomato sauce or paste, a more substantial vegetable (which I had none of) and a melty cheese sauce (like a mac 'n cheese sauce).

I cooked the pasta (like risotto) right in the pot with the vegetables and beans so it truly was a one pot dish.

I could not think of an appropriate name for this dish, but this morning, while I was writing this post, it suddenly hit me.......

I am going to call it "Mexican Jumping Bean Pasta" because it made me jump out of one seat and onto another.



Mexican Jumping Bean Pasta
makes 4 servings

* 2 cups dry pasta (1" and under)
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 1 Mexican chorizo, skinned and smashed
* 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
* 1/4 red pepper, chopped
* 1 can beans (white, roman, garbanzo or black)
* 1/4 cup white wine
* 1 tablespoon fajita spices (taco or burrito)
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 1 cup vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots or cabbage)
* 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
* 2 tablespoons grated cheese

1. Saute chorizo in oil until cooked. Add garlic and onion and saute until soft.
2. Add wine to deglaze the pan. Add chicken broth and spices. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add pasta, vegetables and beans.
4. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, add any broth or water if needed, taste for salt & pepper, sprinkle in the cheese and serve.



Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :