Wish Upon A Dish: Mustard Barbecue Sauce

September 13, 2012

Mustard Barbecue Sauce



Anyone who knows me, knows I have a huge crush on Bobby Flay. Yes he's cute, yes, he kissed me on the cheek when I met him (such a gentleman) and have eaten in a few of his restaurants because, well, I also have a crush on his food.

I love, love, love his new show Grilling Addiction. I hope he writes a companion cookbook to the show. What I love the most about his foods is he uses fresh finishing sauces. Ones that require no cooking and have tons of flavor. I think if he did a book just on finishing sauces I would be his first sale.

Yes, I can print out all the recipes that are on foodnetwork.com but who has the time or the paper (and ink mind you) to print them out.

I am sorry that more of his recipes don't get batted about the blogosphere, he's really a genius in his simplicity and knows his herbs and spices.

All this is leading up to a BBQ sauce that I saw on an older show, Grill It!
He grilled these porterhouse lamb chops and finished it with a no cook Mustard Barbecue Sauce. When The Nudge picked my second personal Chopped Challenge ingredient, he choose bison burgers. While you can't mess with bison the way you can with poultry, I needed a WOW condiment if I have any chance of winning, instead of just boring cheese or tomato (sorry honey).

I also found a container of those French's Fried Onions while pulling the ingredients for the sauce. Hey, this is all about eating out of your pantry and I like those onions. Even Jacques uses them, so there!

I imagine The Nudge will top his with a slice of homegrown tomato but maybe I can entice him to try a dip. I divided the original recipe into an eighth of the full amount, making it just enough for two burgers (no waste here) but I will post the original amounts.

I doubled the amounts of honey, ketchup and molasses and at the last minute I added a squirt of my Shasha sauce, recipe here plus a whole minced Hungarian pepper for a little kick.

This sauce would work well with any sliced steak or cut of pork.

And the winner is......US!! I know I won this big time when The Nudge added extra sauce to his burger.

Last challenge ingredient is fluke fillets and this one is simple.

I am liking this challenge almost as much as The Nudge, maybe I will do one at the end of every month. My fridge has room, my pantry has shrunk and I found 20 items I forgot I bought. Go figure.



Mustard Barbecue Sauce
makes 4 servings

* 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
* 1/4 cup Sherry Vinegar
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 1/4 cup molasses
* 1/4 cup honey
* 2 tablespoons maple syrup
* 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
* salt and pepper to taste
* hot sauce (optional)

Whisk together the ingredients and let it sit for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :