Wish Upon A Dish: Sea Bass topped with Shrimp in a Creamy Garlic Cognac Sauce

October 10, 2012

Sea Bass topped with Shrimp in a Creamy Garlic Cognac Sauce


These impromptu visits to the grocery store get me into all sorts of trouble.
I swear I only went in for eggs, cream and ground turkey.
$50.00 over budget, 4 bags more than my intent and a dinner different then I originally planned to cook, I walked out of that store feeling very guilty. I am supposed to be on a food buying sabbatical, remember?

I was going to make Shrimp Scampi over fresh linguine with lots of garlic and butter. What ended up on the table was a Roasted Sea Bass with a Shrimp & Garlic Cognac Cream Sauce.

How does that happen....a lot....to me? I was there to buy bay scallops (this is the time of year for them so eat lots) saw a fillet of sea bass which I swear had my name on it. It didn't? Are you sure? Absolutely?

I'm not upset, it was decadent, creamy, full of flavor and absolutely wonderful. So easy to make. One skillet, one roasting pan and a microwaved spinach souffle (my favorite), no one should say they can't make this.
It will make a fish lover out of anyone.

About 2 years ago I ate dinner in an Italian restaurant in Harrah's and this dish was what I ordered only with broccoli. I was finally able to duplicate that meal. Yummy+5!

Roasted Sea Bass topped with Shrimp in a Creamy Garlic Cognac Sauce
Makes 2 servings (can be easily be increased to 4-6)
  • 8oz sea bass (any firm white fish will work)
  • olive oil + butter
  • 8 medium shrimp
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 small shallot, minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons white wine
  • 1/4 cup cognac
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Place fish in an oiled baking pan. Salt & pepper and brush with olive oil. Preheat oven to 375°.
Season shrimp with salt & pepper and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil + butter. Saute shrimp until almost cooked. Remove. Add shallot and garlic to pan and cook until softened. Add white wine and simmer for 1 minutes. Add chicken broth and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream and pepper. Simmer until sauce thickens.
Strain to remove solids and return to pan. Add shrimp and butter and heat right before ready to serve.
Meanwhile roast fish in oven for 10 minutes. Remove to a warmed platter.
                                          
Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments :

Dumptruk11 said...

Wow? Tjat kinda just happened to me? No lie. I went to store for lettuce and mushrooms? Came home with 2 little whole seabass. And schrimp..was googling a recipe .. and you popped up? I'm gonna kinda follow that? Thanks .

Dumptruk11 said...

That kinda just happened to me ...but I got whole seabass and shrimp .. gonna have lunch right now.. thanks for the ideas..