Wish Upon A Dish: YogaEarth Protein Bars

October 24, 2012

YogaEarth Protein Bars

Every time my dad calls to talk to me about his latest kitchen triumph or catastrophe, it reminds me of why I am a proponent of the rule "buy the best ingredients you can afford".
He found a good deal market called Aldi's near him and he tells me about all these great food bargains.
For each great deal, there is always two "terrible" deals that he had to throw away.
You can imagine he is always asking me why this food did this and that one didn't do that, etc, etc.

Today it was about onions. He said he cooked them for a long time and they tasted like shoe strings.
Oh, and by the way, he got 7/$1.00.......sigh

I know he's a Depression Baby but with his health issues and age, he needs to eat whole foods that are fresh and nutritious. He's always looking at the lowest deal he can get, thinking he's got the "Deal of the Day" in his bag and wasn't he just so smart to find it?

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I don't always practice what I preach and my garbage pail has seen many a poo-poo boo-boo because I talked myself out of paying top dollar for an ingredient I needed for a recipe.
I should know better. Yes, I have found that Walmart's Name Brand Honey Roasted Peanuts are just as good with a nutrition label better than Planters but that doesn't always play out with other things.

Not just with food, this mind set seems to invade every shopping trip I take. The good thing is, I always learn my lesson and never repeat. I am getting better. I have too, I am running out of time where it will make a difference.

Now I do small batch taste tests. When I find a brand I like lots, I buy only that. No matter how many new products come out, I stay with what I know and unless I have a coupon for "free" or it is something the reviews raved about, I don't buy.

So when a company asks if I would try a new product and blog about it and would love for me to try some samples I will say yes every time.

The other day I received a package from YogaEarth.



YogaEarth offers the world’s finest products for optimal health and sustainable living.
Every item in their store unites the best of modern science and ancient wisdom with the finest sustainable ingredients and cutting-edge materials.
Their community of health-conscious consumers and ambassadors come together online and in the world to curate, design, and share new products that embody the best in nutrition, yoga, and eco-design.
I like companies that listen to their consumers and when you visit their site you are encouraged to explore their community and let them know what you would like to see happen in the world of healthier food alternatives.

I was sent these three flavors of protein bars to sample and test and give feedback on how I feel about their taste, texture, health and function.

YogaEarth’s new line of organic, vegan and gluten-free bars, called Keen-Wah Decadence have made their mark based on a unique formulation that features quinoa, one of nature’s best sources of complete plant-base protein, low glycemic coconut nectar, high-antioxidant dark chocolate and over 500mg of Omega 3s from heart-healthy chia seeds and almond butter. Each bar effectively balances 100% healthy, gluten-free, vegan and organic ingredients with great taste and texture: a true Intelligent Indulgence ™.

All three of YogaEarth’s Keen-Wah Decadence flavors are based on the company’s community-built model, which gathers feedback from thousands of consumers, community members and wellness leaders. Yoga teachers like Elena Brower and Sadie Nardini, as well as professional athletes including the nation’s top female rock-climber Sasha Digiulian, come together to develop and test YogaEarth’s innovative superfoods products.

I love love quinoa and if I was to buy a protein bar, these would be the perfect ones for me. I do not usually buy protein bars because they are most often loaded with sugar and ingredients I can't pronounce. Every item listed in the ingredients list of these, was something not only could I pronounce, I knew what it was.
Besides, they tasted great.
  • Chocolate Chia Keen-Wah Decadence has a malty richness from its 75% dark chocolate coating that accentuates the savory-sweet core. Subtle earth tones of Peruvian quinoa contrast with rich cacao butter and notes of light red fruit and Jasmine. This is a full-bodied, seductively sweet affair that tantalizes with depth, chocolate and nuance. An ineffable experience of richness and depth; a perfect Intelligent Indulgence just for you or special addition any romantic occasion.
  • Coconut Almond Keen-Wah Decadence provides a mild, nutty sweetness and satisfying natural crunch that you'll love. Imagine the almond joy of your youth, reinvented with pure organic ingredients which linger sweetly on the palate, oozing buttery rich flavors dense with sweet caramel and creamy coconut. Then weave in generous toasted almonds and bold dark chocolate to reveal a juicy kaleidoscope of buttery mid-palate smoothness and walnut infused sensuous citrus floral notes to finish. Keen-Wah Decadence Coconut Almond pairs impeccably well with lazy afternoon hammock siestas.
  • Cayenne Cinnamon Keen-Wah Decadence provides an opening salvo of chocolate and cloves with a bold, peppery cayenne finish for an exotic spice on spice explosion of flavors and aroma. Bold chocolate notes amidst an exotic, earthy, assemblage of cinnamon swirl on the palate with hints of all-spice and clove to salute the finish. This unique flavor combination excites the palate and energizes the body; adding depth and maturity to the decadent dark chocolate bar.
The protein bars are only few of the products they sell. Each month they offer a wellness package at a substantial discount and they have an online store. If you are into health foods and super foods, you might want to spend some time on their site.

Disclaimer: I was sent free samples to taste test from YogaEarth through Social Media Chimps and as always the opinion stated is strictly my own.  

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :