Wish Upon A Dish: Extreme Budget, Day Eighteen - Turkey Enchiladas

December 5, 2012

Extreme Budget, Day Eighteen - Turkey Enchiladas


Enchilada aficionados will be upset with me. Why? I am making mine with flour tortillas.
While I like corn tortillas, I can only buy the good ones in packs of 20 and I end up throwing away at least 14 of them before I can use them. I always use the flour tortillas so none goes to waste.
Yes, I did pick up the corn ones first and seriously had to think of what I was doing but in the long run, my budget won over. Plus, they were on sale BIG time and I had a coupon.

Don't hate me 'cuz I'm cheap.

I had a batch of homemade Chile sauce (already in the fridge), the turkey leftover from last Thursday (defrosting peacefully on the counter), chopped roasted green chilies in the can, pickled jalapenos, a half package of southwest corn in the freezer and Tex-Mex seasonings in my pantry. I was all set. I bought a huge quart of yogurt, which is straining as I type, a batch of pear nectar margaritas in the fridge and I am making Spanish yellow rice and black beans. 
I really can't remember the last time I made enchiladas but I do know The Nudge is looking forward to this dinner and so am I. I think after Asian flavors, Mexican comes in second as my go to when I want a dinner that blows your taste buds away.

Turkey Enchiladas
makes 4 servings
* 5 flour tortillas
* 2 cups cooked turkey
* 1 cup ancho chili sauce
* Small can mild enchilada sauce
* 1/4 green pepper, chopped
* 1/4 cup onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup strained yogurt or low-fat sour cream
* 1/2 can chopped roasted green chilies
* 1 tablespoon Tex-Mex seasonings
* 1 cup frozen southwest corn with red and green peppers
* 4 ounces Pepper Jack cheese, grated (I used Cabot's low-fat version)

Yellow Rice and Beans
* 1 teaspoon Adobo with pepper
* 1 cup long grain rice
* 1/2 packet Sazon Goya with Azafran
* 2 cups water
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup canned black beans

1. Tear turkey meat into shreds and put in a large bowl, along with the roasted chilies, seasonings, frozen corn mixture and yogurt.
2. In a small saucepan place the enchilada sauce, the chili sauce, green pepper and onion. Simmer for 20 moinutes, cool and puree.
3. In a 7x11 inch baking dish spoon 1/2 the enchilada sauce evenly on to the bottom.
4. Measuring out 1/2 cup turkey filling into each tortilla, roll and place, seam side down next to each other in the baking pan.
5. Top with remaining sauce and all of the cheese.
6. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes covered, 350° for 20 minutes uncovered.

I will say that I understand why corn tortillas are used in this dish. The flour tortillas were very soft and it took two spatulas to remove them and place them on a plate. Corn is sturdier and I will use them next time.

Rice directions: Add rice, Adobo, Sazon, salt and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Add canned black beans, stir and serve.

Cost for this meal: $ 5.16
Running total for 18 days:$62.76

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :