Wish Upon A Dish: Favorite Kitchen Gadget - Recipe Redux Challenge December 2012

December 21, 2012

Favorite Kitchen Gadget - Recipe Redux Challenge December 2012


This was a really good challenge. Name your favorite kitchen gadget and make a dish using it.
Ah the minds of those tricky Redux Gals.This was not easy, I have a ton of gadgets and I love them all but the only thing I could think of that gets used more than any other gadget in my drawer, was my dumpling press. It's one gadget that makes one thing but in many different ways. I can make Chinese dumplings, Yiddish pirogi, Mexican empanadas and Italian ravioli with those presses.

Now that's a grand gadget. Sometimes you can buy one or, like me, buy a box of three different sizes.

It just so happens I have a savory crust dough in the freezer and a piece of ribeye with cheddar cheese.
I am going to make hand pies or empanadas, something new to me but with a filling that is not.


Philly Cheese Steak palm pies, a side of crispy onion rings and a red cabbage slaw. Yummy, no?
All baked in the oven, and the best part? Won't cost me anything. I am using all leftovers and pantry items.

I made this crust recipe for pot pies last week and it proved to be a dream crust. Easy to work with, baked up wonderfully and as the bottom crust of a pot pie, stayed dry, crisp and flaky. Everything you could want in a crust. Plus, I made it in my processor. I just love to use my processor for doughs. Wait....is that two favorite gadgets? No, kitchen electrics are not gadgets. Gadgets are one hand items that make life easier.

Got it? Good.

I guess these pies are not much of a recipe but I did give you a good crust recipe.
I have to admit, cheese steak sandwiches rank right up there as our favorite hot sandwich.



I had a half a leftover rib-eye in the freezer and some really good sharp cheddar cheese. I sauteed thinly sliced onions and green peppers until they were soft and sweet.
I rolled out the dough to a thickness of 1/8" and using a 4" cutter, I made 8 rounds. Using the largest of the dumplings presses, I spooned 1 teaspoon of filling into each round, wet the edge with beaten egg white to seal the dough. After making each one, I put them back in the fridge to firm up the dough.

Bake with the onion rings (I love Alexia Panko Rings) for 18 minutes at 375°, turning half way through.

Red Cabbage Slaw
makes 4 servings
* 1/4 of a 1 pound red cabbage, shredded 
* 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 carrot, shredded
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup lite mayonnaise
* 1 tablespoon agave nectar

1. Place red cabbage in a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Toss to mix. Let it sit for minimum 30 minutes.
2. Drain the liquid and to the wilted cabbage, add all the other ingredients and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but overnight is always better.

Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments :

Unknown said...

I have never really seen these empanada makers but it could come handy with so many recipes- samosa, dumplings, or seal anything inside a dough. such a simple yet meaningful tool. where did you get that?

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice said...

OK - your recipe (I'm from Philly after all) and this super cool gadget has me now wanting one of those empanada makers 'cause I also love dumplings, pierogi, and ravioli too. So clever!

Kitchen Gadgets London said...

I agree when you do cooking with your favorite kitchen gadgets you feel good.