Wish Upon A Dish: Food in Jars - Recipe Redux Challenge August 2013

August 21, 2013

Food in Jars - Recipe Redux Challenge August 2013



It's that time of the month again.
Yup, the Recipe Redux Monthly Healthy Dish Challenge.
This month it's all about that new rage of food in jars.

Yes, I got caught up also. I went out an purchased the new Mainstay half-pint jars just so I could make cute desserts. Perfect for a family of two. I can stack them in the fridge and The Nudge can just help himself.

A month or so ago, I made these but there was way too much sugar and butter in them (they were so good) and I felt guilty so I made another batch and made it as healthy as I could without sacrificing taste.

I totally succeeded. I even gave two to my neighbor and his kid loved it. Of course, he added a scoop of ice cream to hers. No, it was not a bribe, even when I showed him how I left enough space.

Dutch Peach Pies in a Jar
makes 6 half-pint jars

* 3 peaches, pitted & chopped
* 20 ginger snaps, processed

* 3/4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
* 1 teaspoon self-rising flour, plus 1/2 cup
* 1 stick ICBINB Blend
* 2/3 cup stone-ground cornmeal (white or yellow)
* Pinch salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the peaches, 1/4 cup Splenda and 1 teaspoon of flour in a mixing bowl.
Allow it to sit until the berries begin to soften and juices flow, about 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, spray 6 jars with butter flavored spray and arrange them on a baking sheet.
Divide the processed gingersnaps evenly in each jar and press. Spoon the peaches over the gingersnaps.

Cut butter into cubes and freeze.
In a bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup Splenda, remaining 1/2 cup of flour,
the cornmeal and the salt.
Cut in the butter with a fork to make a pea-like texture and sprinkle it on top of the peaches.
Bake, until the peaches bubble and the topping is baked to a light golden color, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.

Follow Me on Pinterest

4 comments :

Serena said...

Looks yummy. Do you bake all 6 jars in the oven at the same time?

Catherine said...

What a delicious recipe! I love peaches this time of year. This is a perfect recipe to use with those peaches I may have held on to just a liiiittle too long. Can't wait to try this for dessert!
Catherine @ Meal Makeover Moms

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice said...

Oh my goodness, do these look good! Love summer fruit with ginger :) Can't wait to see the new blog look after you make the switch!

Alex @ delicious-knowledge.com said...

Love the idea of baking in the mason jar! So inventive!