Wish Upon A Dish: Frittata di Pasta ♥ Spaghetti Pie

February 3, 2014

Frittata di Pasta ♥ Spaghetti Pie


Two years ago I made this spaghetti pie.  I was home alone and wanted comfort food and I wasn't sure The Nudge would enjoy baked spaghetti & eggs.

This is one of the most loved lunch dishes in Italy. Italians are frugal and any leftover pasta was always morphed into a pie of sorts. To this day, besides meatloaf sandwiches, I will make macaroni and cheese just to have the leftovers, to which I mix with two eggs and saute in a skillet (best breakfast ever!).

I thought it was time I made an updated version of a spaghetti pie. Yes, there will still be beaten eggs added right before baking but I thought a few pantry items would rich it up a bit.


I went to the salad bar today and bought roasted peppers and sun-dried tomatoes but use what you like.
From my fridge I pulled out peas, ricotta, Fontina, Parmesan, mozzarella and prosciutto. I had a container of homemade pasta sauce and local range-free extra large eggs. This was going to be no ordinary spaghetti pie. Move over Giada, I am challenging you to a throwdown...lol

YO, Bobby, where are ya hun?!?

If you have leftover Carbonara, Alfredo or just plain sauced pasta, it's all good.

This was possibly the best pasta frittata that I have ever eaten. I would make this again in a heartbeat.
Very filling, it was just as good reheated the next day for lunch.

I actually packaged half of it for the freezer. I imagine there will be a night where I need a gift from that freezer, and the foccacia that's in there now has a buddy. 

Let's get cooking.....

Frittata di Pasta
makes 8 servings
* 8 ounces of pasta, cooked
* 5 eggs
* 1/4 cup milk
* 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
* 4 slices prosciutto, chopped
* 3 ounces ricotta cheese
* 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese + more for garnish
* Salt & pepper
* 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
* 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
* 2 cups pasta cooking water
* 2 ounces Fontina, grated
* 5 slices deli mozzarella
* 1/4 cup peas or broccoli or spinach

Heat a skillet and spray with a release agent. Pre-heat your oven to 375°.
1. Mix the pasta with the sun-dried tomatoes, peas, Fontina, ricotta, prosciutto, roasted pepper and Parmesan. Moisten with pasta water. As the mixture sits it will drink in the water. You will probably use all the water.
2. Place half the pasta mixture in the skillet, spreading evenly to the edges. Add the sliced mozzarella, overlapping to cover the pasta. Repeat with the rest of the pasta mixture and press down with a spoon.
3. Add a turn of olive oil and as soon as the bottom starts to achieve color, add the egg and milk.
4. Simmer on the stove until the mixture starts to bubble. Place in the oven and bake until the mixture is moist, but not wet. It will continue to cook as it sits. Remove and rest.
5. Invert the skillet on a large serving platter. Spoon a ladle of hot spaghetti sauce on a dinner plate and top with a slice of pasta pie.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :