Wish Upon A Dish: Margarita Flatbread Pizza

February 19, 2014

Margarita Flatbread Pizza


I made a 5 pound batch of no knead crusty bread, divided it up into 5 one pound bags, froze 4 of them and one for a flatbread pizza, margarita-style. I can not start to tell you how good the chew on this crust was.

Not a traditional margarita, it was delicious and gone in 15 minutes.
I am so happy I froze basil in the summer when I had pots of it because it took this pizza over the top.

I like to slice, salt and press the water out of my tomatoes or it will make the dough wet.
Once the dough rises, add the cheese and semi-bake for 10 minutes.
Place the tomatoes evenly on top of the cheese and dot them with a spoonful of pesto. A dusting of Parmesan, a brushing of olive oil on the crust and it is returned to the oven until the bottom and crust is browned.


While thicker than the thin crust pizza The Nudge usually asks for, thinner than a deep dish, the bread dough had a nice chew to it, and after shoving his mouth full, I thought I heard him say (barely), "wow, this is really good! Think you could grab me a few more pieces, please."
I love hitting it on the mark. (By the way, I made a breakfast flatbread two says later....yum!!)

Margarita-style Flatbread Pizza
makes one 10x14" pizza
* 1 pound pizza dough (homemade, store-bought flatbread or pre-baked crust)
* 1 large tomato, sliced thin, salted and pressed between paper towels)
* 2" slice of fresh mozzarella, grated
* 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, grated
* 10 teaspoons of basil pesto
* salt & pepper
* Olive oil 

Spread the dough into a 10x14" rectangle with the edges forming a wall. Allow to rest and rise, but not too high. As soon as it is as thick as you like, add the cheese and pre-bake for 10 minutes. This will stop the rise. Remove the pizza and add the tomatoes, the Parmesan and the pesto.
Brush the crust with the olive oil & salt & pepper.
Return the pan to the oven and bake another 15 minutes. Remove the pizza from the pan right onto the top rack of your oven and broil for a minute or two until golden brown and bubbly. This will allow the bottom crust to brown also.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :