Wish Upon A Dish: Grilled Swordfish Avgolemono ♥ Oopah!!

July 3, 2014

Grilled Swordfish Avgolemono ♥ Oopah!!


I seem to be on a Greek food trip this week. I like to cook dishes when it is only I that is eating and that means swordfish, salmon, lamb and calamari. What do all those foods have in common?
They are often found on a Grecian dinner table.
Greeks eat an extremely healthy diet with hardly any meat, except for lamb which is reserved for special holidays. I did not grow up eating much lamb, my dad was not a fan.

My first introduction to Greek food was from a food court at our local mall. I imagine unless you had a diner near you, that was how most of us discovered gyros. Yes, they still have souvlaki & gyro stands and I understand the food trucks of the same fare are wildly popular. I have made Pastitsio and a Baklava Cheesecake to great reviews but I can not convince The Nudge to give swordfish a chance.

That is why I am grilling Swordfish Avgolemono with a side of Sun-dried Tomato Tapenade Orzo using Cat Cora's bottled tapanade (which is very good, btw). In the summer having one shelf dedicated to pestos, tapenades, bottled vinaigrettes and chutneys can make the summer dinner table a cooler place to be.

Since I am using a few of the same ingredients for two dishes this week, I made a double batch of Greek Seasoning and a just enough of the sauce for this dish and the shawarma. I plan on mixing this sauce, a teaspoon of the seasoning mixture with yogurt and mint to spoon on the lamb.

I am not sure why I thought avgolemono sauce was thick like an Italian zabaglione but it is thin so as not to overpower the delicate swordfish. It was easy to prepare, all in one small saucepan, just make sure all your ingredients are measured and ready to go because it goes fast. I made mine in the food processor and it had the consistency of a foam which I imagine when added to a chicken & orzo soup would add the perfect amount of lemon air. When I poured the foam into a saucepan, heated and added salt, the consistency thickened and went from a foam to a thin sauce. Very interesting.

Would I make this again? Probably not, but it inspired me to see if I can create a version this is like a savory zabaglione, the flavors were there, I just wasn't a fan of the chicken stock.

Avgolemono, Traditional Greek Egg-Lemon Sauce
Makes: 1 1/2 cups

  • 2-3 eggs, separated
  • 1 tablespoon of water
  • juice of 2-3 lemons
  • broth from the dish being cooked (or hot beef or chicken broth or stock)

Beat the egg whites until foamy. Beat in egg yolks, water, lemon juice, and 1 cup boiling broth, beating (or whisking) continuously until it thickens slightly. Remove, cover with a towel for 10 minutes to continue to thicken. Adjust for salt if using a low sodium broth.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :