Wish Upon A Dish: Sorghum Peasant Bread

March 16, 2015

Sorghum Peasant Bread


While The Nudge was traveling last week, I totally redid the dry goods section of my pantry. I was using quart canning jars but when I moved them to the top of my wire rack they seemed way too unstable. I went to Shopping.com to check out all the plastic ones available but I had requirements.

1. They needed to be big enough to fit one bag of Bob's Red Mill products (standard industry size).
2. They needed to be easy to grab off a very tall rack.
3. They should be stack stable.
4. They could be no more than $1 each.
5. They had to have a surface that can hold a long detail label.

I never realized how many plastic containers are out there, and the fact that I could filter out the things I didn't need made it all that much easier, not to mention quick.

Turns out a dollar store had exactly what I needed, so I ordered a case of 24 to be delivered store to store (no shipping cost).

OK, I will say one thing, well two things. I filled all 24 containers and reordered another case.
I now have every bag of flour out there, labeled and stacked. If they milled it, I bought it, all in the name of Diabetes research.
Problem is, I needed to start using them, as flour goes rancid quickly and there was no way 30 (32oz) plastic containers would fit in my fridge. The oldest ones went into my dorm-sized refrigerator (yes, it actually gets used outside in the summer) and I hit the Internet for recipes.

So, what recipe uses lots of flour? Bread.
I have become obsessed with peasant breads, you know the ones that don't require a machine, only a wooden spoon and bowl? The texture is rustic and dense. Perfect for a grilled cheese.
Now I bake one weekly, right in my French White casserole.
My last one contained a cup of sorghum flour.
One down, 127 to go.........


Sorghum Peasant Bread
makes 1 round or two medium standard loaves
* 3 cups unbleached AP flour
* 1 cup sorghum flour
* 2 teaspoons active yeast
* 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 cups tepid water (110°)
* 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter

Oven-proof bowl or loaf pans.

Preheat oven to 425°. Butter baking pan.
In a large bowl add the water and the yeast, along with the honey and a few spoons of flour. Stir to combine.
When the mixture starts to bubble, add the rest of the flour and the salt. Stir until all the ingredients are well incorporated and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. At this point the dough can be placed in the refrigerator overnight. Bring back to room temp before baking.
Move to a sunny, warm spot and let rise till doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
Over butter the baking pan(s). Scrape the dough into the pan(s) and place in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the pan and lower the temperature to 350 and continue baking for 15-17 minutes.
Remove the pan to cool for 10 minutes. Invert on to a wire rack and if the interior crust is pale, return to the oven for 10 more minutes to brown. Remove to cool completely, about one hour.

Yes, it is that easy. I have seen Jacques mix and bake his in the same saucepan. It does work. Remember, this is a peasant bread and it's all about the flavor, not the crumb.
 
Don't know sorghum? Here's a few facts that might entice you to experiment:
Sorghum can be substituted for wheat flour in a variety of baked goods. Its neutral, sometimes sweet, flavor and light color make it easily adaptable to a variety of dishes. Sorghum improves the texture of recipes and digests more slowly with a lower glycemic index, so it sticks with you a bit longer than some other flours or flour substitutes.

No comments :