Wish Upon A Dish: Shrimp and Scallops in a Mushroom Cognac Cream Sauce ♥ Christening my new label "Off the Cutting Board"

June 17, 2015

Shrimp and Scallops in a Mushroom Cognac Cream Sauce ♥ Christening my new label "Off the Cutting Board"


Forgive me for not posting a regular recipe in quite a few weeks, and for awhile there I thought I would never post again. I guess I needed a much deserved break. Between cooking for my dad and The Nudge, I was just plum uninspired. All my personal time was spent on my vegetable crate garden and simple grilled dinners.

Not much to blog about and no leftovers for pictures to post.

After last week's recipe contest post's, I found myself with a ton of small zip bags filled with ingredients from recipes that didn't make the cut.

I thought about all the ingredients that just don't get used and all the recipes that I don't post for the many contests I have entered (there are always a few that I thought were not contest worthy in appearance but good enough to eat).
Meet my new label "Off the Cutting Board".

My first "official" leftover creation highlights leftover grilled Creole scallops.


Since The Nudge does not like to reheat fish for lunch, I do and those four glorious jumbo scallops we ate for dinner just begged to be re-purposed. Not enough for a meal by themselves, I just happened to have a half pound of large shrimp in the freezer and along with a few containers of choice vegetables, I made a wonderful sauce for pasta.

This dish was rich in flavor but diapropriate and low on the calories and fat.

Shrimp and Scallops in a Mushroom Cognac Cream Sauce
makes 3-4 servings

* 1 1/2 cups dried short pasta (I used corkscrews)
* 4 large grilled scallops cut into quarters (leftover from last night's dinner)
* 8oz large shrimp
* 1 portabello mushroom cap, sliced into ribbons (from this contest recipe)
* 1/2 roasted red pepper, chopped (also from this contest recipe)
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
* 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
* 1 tablespoon cognac (brandy will also work)
* salt & pepper
* 3-4 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

1. Set a gallon of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta according to the box directions. Drain and reserve a cup of cooking water.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and saute the mushrooms and garlic until soft. Add the shrimp and saute until they turn pink on both sides. Add the roasted peppers, the scallops and the flour.
3. Saute to incorporate the flour. Slowly add the milk & cognac. Stir to remove any lumps and until it thickens. Add additional milk if the mixture is too thick.
4. Add the pasta and the cheese and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and make any adjustments.
5. Sauce should be flowing, not thick, so add cooking water to loosen it up.
The pasta will continue to absorb liquid until you serve it. Top with chopped parsley.














No comments :