Wish Upon A Dish: Artichoke, Bacon and Fontina Cheese Tart

October 20, 2010

Artichoke, Bacon and Fontina Cheese Tart

I do not remember which magazine I originally copied this from but it was either Family Circle or Woman's Day. Either way, the bacon part grabbed my attention and I scanned it for future use.

Tonight is the future, right??

I love when it comes right out of the oven, all puffy and melty.
Then as it cools, it settles and gets glossy from the melted cheese....Yum






The Nudge loves quiche and egg dishes of any kind. He is going to love this one. Super easy, it used a premade crust but you could make your own if you want, but the thinness of this crust was perfect for the filling.
I used the 9" tart pan with the removable bottom and pressed the crust into it. I trimmed it leaving 1" of extra dough which I rolled down around the edge to give it a better structure (it also shrinks less).
You could use any pan you want. It originally called for a 10" deep dish pie plate. I will give you the original recipe, then tell you what I did.

Artichoke, Bacon and Fontina Pie
Makes 8 servings
Preheat oven to 400F.
* 1 refrigerated pie crust
* 1 1/2 cups shredded Fontina Cheese, divided (I used Gouda)
* 4 strips cooked crumbled bacon
* 1/3 cup 1" julienned red bell pepper strips
* 2 tbls snipped fresh chives
* 8 artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half, lengthwise
* 2 cups heavy cream (I used 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup milk)
* 4 large eggs (I used a half container of Egg Beaters)
* 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
* salt & pepper

1. Unroll crust into 10-inch deep dish pie plate; crimp edge.
Chill 20 minutes. Line pie crust with foil and fill with pie weights or baking beans.
Bake 25 minutes. Transfer to wire rack, remove foil.
2. Reduce oven to 375F. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over bottom of crust.
Scatter bacon, pepper strips and chives over cheese. Arrange artichoke hearts in a circular manner.
3. Mix cream, eggs, red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp salt & pepper until blended. Pour over artichokes.
4. Sprinkle with last 1/2 cup of cheese and bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted come out clean.

1 comment :

CarrieBee said...

I've been looking for this recipe for 3 years! I used to make it (from one of those magazines) every year for Christmas breakfast and lost the recipe! Thank you!!