Wish Upon A Dish: Pantry Pickin' Chicken Shawarma ♥ #RecipeReDux March Challenge

March 22, 2017

Pantry Pickin' Chicken Shawarma ♥ #RecipeReDux March Challenge



If you are a food blogger, you will most certainly have one recipe (or 20) in your blog post section that has been delegated to the draft pile.

Without even counting and at the top of my head, I can honestly say my drafts are well over 100.
So, once a year I go back in and clean them out, that is, except the few that I still want to blog about but just never get the chance too.

Meet one from 2011.

I have been trying to make shawarma for years. Why now?
A few reasons, one being I have an abundance of pita in my freezer, the other is the acceptance of The Nudge to try new ethnic cuisines that I have always wanted to explore but wouldn't dare put on our menu.

This month's theme was picked with me in mind. We are challenged to cook with three ingredients already in our fridge & pantry.
Besides the chicken thighs, everything in this recipe came right out of my pantry.


If you open my pantry door you would swear that I snapped a pic of my store's spice racks and recreated them in the over-the-door storage rack that leads to my pantry.
I am not kidding.
What better way to take a trip around the world from your diner table?


Last week I printed out well known spice mixtures from around the world and made a whole bunch. You have to figure that there will be no more excuses for all those drafts.

Harissa
Za'atar
Berbere
Adobo
Dukkah
Baharat
Ras el Hanout
Curry
Skhug
Greek
Italian
Asian
BBQ

With all those pre-mixed spice blends, the one I did not make was, yea, you got it.....shawarma.
I can now add it to my list.

What I love about this recipe is the ease and quickness.
When I cook chicken, I always try to leave the bone in and remove the skin myself.
Takes me all of 2 minutes but remember we are a family of two and four thighs are easy work.
If I needed 10-12 thighs I would buy them already prepared.


First thing before I start my day, is to marinade or spice that nights dinner. If I was working I would do it the night before. If this was a liquid marinade I would minus the pan and just put everything into the bag but if I have the room, and it is a dry rub, I prefer to leave the meat flat and side by side.

Then I bag it, suck out as much air as I can and pop it into the bottom drawer.  


By laying them flat and not touching, the spice mixture stays in place and evenly flavors the meat.

While I prepare the salad garnish, I heat the grill and remove the pan.
Never cook meat straight out of the cold. It will seize and never relax. I got into the habit of taking the food out of the fridge as soon as I walked into the kitchen.

The vegetable salsa is as simple as this dish is. Chopped tomatoes, lettuce, red onions and a yogurt sauce. I would place a bottle of your favorite hot sauce (sriracha here) for those who like a kick.

Chicken Shawarma
makes 4 pitas

Spice blend (exactly enough for four thighs but an be easily doubled):
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper
1/2 lemon slice, wedged
1 tablespoon olive oil (recommend light)
1/4 cup apple juice

Yogurt sauce:
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon tahini
1/4 teaspoon mint
1/4 teaspoon dill
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon honey
Squeeze lemon juice
Salt & pepper

4 pitas, wrapped and warm from the oven
Julienned lettuce
Chopped tomatoes
Sliced red onion
Hot sauce
Yogurt sauce
Guacamole (optional)


1. On a grill or in a cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the thighs for 5 minutes on each side.
2. Add the apple juice, cover the skillet, lower the heat and steam the chicken until the apple juice thickens.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat and cool. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken from the bones.
4. Pour any juices over the chicken and serve.















recipe-redux-linky-logo

No comments :