Wish Upon A Dish: Cast Iron Skillet Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie ♥ #theRecipeReDux Monthly Challenge - December 2016

December 21, 2016

Cast Iron Skillet Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie ♥ #theRecipeReDux Monthly Challenge - December 2016


I have had a on-line digital subscription to Cook's Illustrated website for years. A few years ago I added the digital magazine of Cook's Country to the mix.
Each one is as different as night and day, Cook's Country being more for people interested in home-style cooking.
When I saw this dish on the cover of last month's magazine, I knew I had to make this ASAP.
The Nudge is a huge lover of pot pies and if it has a double crust he could eat the whole thing himself.


Lately I have been scaling favorite recipes down to two servings and this was one of the more successful ones. Successful because the crust was spectacular!
If one was to have a favorite family pot pie recipe they are not interested in updating, I do suggest the next time you make your pot pie you give this crust recipe a try.

I have to admit  the reason I do not make pot pies all that often is because I am 'homemade crust' impaired.
When I choose a ATK recipe, I mentally agree to make them as is. No substitutions and in this instance, included not only a double crust but a homemade double crust at that.



This month's Recipe ReDux monthly challenge was to celebrate the end of 2016 by cooking a recipe from one of our favorite cookbook's that was on any page that contained a "2" "0" "1'' "6" or a combination of that.

My digital magazine does not have their pages numbered but when I counted the pages starting at the index, this recipe is was on their virtual page "6".

I say that's destiny.
It was time I started using my 9" cast iron skillet to cooking something besides egg dishes.
While I did make a few adjustments to use ingredients I already had in the fridge, I followed the preparation and baking instructions.


This was the perfect recipe for a cast iron skillet.
There can sometimes be trouble with a double crust not baking correctly in that the bottom ends up raw.
Now you know why I stay away from pot pies with homemade double crusts. I never could get the bottom to cook correctly. Either too well done (prebaking can do that) or just not enough.

Not anymore.
I plan on putting this on rotation during the colder months and I know The Nudge will be happy about that.

This was so good, he took the last piece to work and it reheated perfectly.



So to celebrate the end of 2016 with a kaboom, I give you this recipe that is easy and fail-proof.

You will need a 9" cast iron skillet (or 9" deep dish pie plate)
A day to rest the dough in the refrigerator
Food processor

Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
makes 4 servings
Adapted from Cook's Country magazine

Crust:
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups (12 oz) AP flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into1/2" cubes & chilled

Filling:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4" dice (about 2/3c)
2 celery ribs, cut same size carrots (about 1/2c)
1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper
6 tablespoons AP flour
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup fat-free half & half

1 small russet potato (6 oz), peeled and cut into 1/4" dice
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 rotisserie chicken, skinned & boned and shredded (about 3c)
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Sea salt & crushed pepper for crust (optional but worth it)

Directions:
For the crust:
1. Combine sour cream ad egg in a bowl. Process flour and salt in food processor until combined, about 3 seconds.
Add butter and pulse until pea-sized pieces remain, about 10 pulses. Add half the sour cream and pulse until combined, about 5 pulses. Add remaining sour cream and pulse until dough begins to form, about 10 more pulses.
2. Transfer mixture to lightly floured counter or board and knead until dough comes together.
Divide dough in half and form into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (I did mine overnight).
3. Let chilled dough come to room temperature about 10 minutes before rolling.
Roll 1 disk into a round at least 1"larger than the circumference or the baking vessel.
Loosely roll dough around rolling pin and gently unroll in onto a 9" baking dish (I used my cast iron skillet).
Ease dough over baking dish and gently press the dough down.
Roll other disk into 12" circle and place on a peice of parchment paper. Refrigerate both for 30 minutes whole you prepare the filling.

For the filling:
1. Preheat over to 450° and place rack to lowest position.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet and add onions, carrots, celery, salt & pepper and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly until golden, 1-2 minutes.Slowly stir in stock and half & half and bring to a boil over med-hi heat.
3. Stir in potato and thyme. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until sauce is thickened and potato is tender, about 8 minutes. Off heat, stir in chicken and peas.
4. Transfer the filling to dough-lined baking pan. Loosely roll remaining dough round around pin and gently unroll over filling. Trim overhanging to 1/2" beyond lip of pan. Tuck overhang under itself and crimp with a fork or use your fingers.
Cut 4 - 2" slits in top of crust.
5. Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle the sea salt & pepper if using.
Place pie on rimmed sheet pan and bake for 18-20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°, rotate pie and back until crust is golden brown, about 12-15 minutes more.
Let pie cool at least 45 minutes.
Serve.
 http://thereciperedux.com/category/current-redux/


1 comment :

@JodiDanenRD said...

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing! I am going to share it in my link love later this week :)