Wish Upon A Dish: Meatloaf Chowder

February 2, 2011

Meatloaf Chowder

Before you say anything, you need to know that this dish is delicious.

Even The Nudge stopped eating for one minute to say "this is really good". I would almost call it a stew if it wasn't for the addition of milk, even though it is a small amount. It is chockful of ingredients and very filling. A good stick-to-your-ribs dish for a cold snowy night.

The Nudge actually called me from work to tell me "I think you got something here!"

It consists entirely of leftovers and the addition of a few extra vegetables and a small amount of barley. This is a dish I created (I make a lot of meatloaves) so I would be interested in anyone who wants to leave a review for me.

There really is no set recipe, it all depends on your amount of leftovers and how thick you want it to be.

1st step: Cut the leftover meatloaf into 1/2" cubes.
2nd step: Dice a few carrots and small onion.
3rd step: Saute carrots and onions in a tsp of canola oil.
4th step: Add 1 carton of beef broth, the leftover gravy, and creamed cauliflower. Heat to simmer. If you want to add a diced potato, do it now.
5th step: Add meat, barley and a bay leaf.
6th step: Simmer for 20 minutes. Add leftover cooked broccoli (if you have any, if not add peas and hey, add both). Add milk to the consistency you want. Remove bay leaf and serve. I have whole wheat dinner rolls that I will put out.

Enjoy!!

Review: This would also be perfect for Meatloaf Pot Pie. Buy a prepared pie crust and cover this with it in a casserole dish or even better, individual ramekins. The kids will never even suspect it was leftover meatloaf. Hell, make a meatloaf just for the leftovers!!

No comments :