Wish Upon A Dish: A New Twist on an Apple Tart

February 6, 2011

A New Twist on an Apple Tart


I do not make many desserts, simply because we never finish anything and I throw half away. The other reason is there are really not a lot of good, healthy, diabetic desserts out there.

I am not a fan of Splenda for baking and I have not found any natural alternatives to sugar.

I recently bought SweetTree at Whole Foods. It is made from coconut palm sugar and is naturally a low glycemic index sweetener. It has only 15 calories in 1 teaspoon and an average GI of 35.

I decided to make a tart. The Nudge wanted apple or blueberry and I refuse to buy out of the US blueberries so guess what I made? lol.

I saw a tart shell recipe made with oats and nuts and had to try it. If it is any good I will be using it for my cheesecakes in the summer.

I bought 3 very nice sized Rome apples. They have this red-tinged interior that looks great raw but these apples are not for eating. Not sweet enough. They are perfect for baking, especially where you need the apple to maintain their shape.

The recipe is pretty simple, which is why I like tarts. The crust is a non-rolled, pat down-style crust. Easy peasy for any level baker.




Oatmeal Cashew Tart Crust

makes 1 9" tart shell
* 1/2 cup instant oats
* 1/2 cup Promise or ICBINB, melted
* 1/4 cup spelt flour
* 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or Splenda for baking
* 1/2 cup chopped nuts of choice

Mix everything ina bowl until well incorporated. Place in 9" tart shell and press bottom and 1/4" up the sides.

One apple was enough for a small tart so I will be planning on making an upside down apple cake later in the week (post will follow).

Peel one large apple, core and slice into 1/4" slices. Place in a bowl of water with lemon juice in it.
Once the apple slices are arranged in bottom of tart shell, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of them and nobs from 1 tablespoon of ICBINB doted about.
Bake at 375F for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and spread raspberry jam on top and cool.
Serve room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream or creme fraiche.

No comments :