Wish Upon A Dish: Pizza alla Bismark

February 5, 2011

Pizza alla Bismark

I could not find a definitive recipe for this pizza, just that all the recipes out there use an egg baked on the top. One that I saw used a bolognese sauce with lots of grated Locatella, a small amount of mozzarella and red pepper rings to contain the eggs in while it bakes.

Looked so good and since we had leftover bolognese, it was the perfect morph for the end of this week and, second good thing, we know how The Nudge feels about pizza.....










I use Wolfgang Puck's recipe for pizza dough and halve it, freeze the other half and roll it out to fit a quarter sheet pan.

I topped the dough with the bolognese sauce and then with Locatella cheese.
I cut a fresh red pepper across-ways in 4 strips and placed that on the pizza.

I baked the pizza for 10 minutes at 450F.

After 10 minutes I cracked an egg into each pepper ring.

Topped the eggs with some more mozzarella cheese and black pepper.
Put it back in the oven for 5 more minutes at 350F.

Once I removed it I sprinkled more grated cheese on top and let it rest for 15 minutes before attempting to cut it.

This pizza was fabulous!!

I do not like to praise a pizza but this one was so different that it deserves a mention.

The Nudge said that this is something he wants again and again and can't wait to take it to work for lunch. I know I did good when he wants the 'boys' to see what he has for lunch.

Best praise a cook can get.....



Review: OMG! This pizza was so good there where no words to describe it. We both wish we could have eaten more but you really have to eat a quarter and that was too much. I liked the egg for each portion instead of one plopped in the middle. Everyone gets a whole egg and it is worth it. Baking in the bolognese & cheese.....you have to make this.

No comments :