Wish Upon A Dish: Instant Oatmeal Pancakes - In Honour of National Pancake Day

March 1, 2011

Instant Oatmeal Pancakes - In Honour of National Pancake Day


I have said this over and over to just about anyone who will listen, I do not eat breakfast when I work at home.

I love our Saturday morning diner date. I love breakfast on vacation, I actually look forward to the whole process of a relaxing morning starting the day with a really good breakfast.
I will eat a good, hearty breakfast every morning, away from home, if I had the chance.

I try at least once a month to make an effort to eat breakfast. I know as a diabetic you MUST eat breakfast. I have even bought the Jimmy Dean's and the Aunt Jamima frozen breakfasts. I end up gong-ho for 2 days, then I just open the fridge, close the door, and walk away to my desk and start my day with a coffee.

I have made pre-cooked homemade pancakes, wrapped them in sets of three and a week later, just end up throwing them away.

I have bought scones and biscotti so I could eat AT my desk.

It isn't about being lazy, I like to cook. I just have this weird thing about eating in the AM. Yes, I have yogurt in my fridge at all times, lunch....yes, breakfast.... no.

Last week in my never ending quest to find something I will eat, I decided to try making pancakes with Instant Flavored Oatmeal Packets.
Oatmeal (or oats for that matter) are a wonderful food. Almost a miracle food for anyone at any age.
Good for your heart, good for your sugar control, good for weight management, excellent for nutrition benefits and wonderful for digestion.

I bought a Fruit & Cream Variety Pack and made pancakes.

These were great. Moist, tasty and extremely filling.

I suggest that everyone should try this recipe. The kids won't even know there is oats in them.

My Oatmeal Pancakes
makes 4-4" pancakes
* 1 packet of instant oatmeal
* 2/3 cup low fat buttermilk
* 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
* 1 egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup egg beaters)
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
* 1/8 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Mix everything together and let rest for 10 minutes. Batter should be thick and lumpy.
In a non-stick pan, pour enough batter to make 1-4" pancake. Once bubbles appear, flip over and store under a bowl on a plate.
Serve with sugar-free syrup and some fresh fruit if you want.

I am trying so hard to eat breakfast and with these pancakes I might actually be able to start a good habit.

Have a great day!!

No comments :